can 7 chickens fit in a 10' x 12' coop?

BunnyLover44

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Orlando Flordia
Hey, this is BunnyLover44 and I saw a design for a coop that said it could hold 3 chickens ( the measurements are 5'1" x 12') but I have 7 chickens so I want to double it ... not sure it will fit 7 chickens comfortably. Help me/my chickens get a coop!!
barnie.gif
D.gif

Last edited:
A coop that is 5' x 12' is 60 square feet. If you use the generally accepted guide of at least 4 square feet of coop space per chicken as a minimum, this coop will hold 15 chickens. If you want to put your 7 chickens in this coop, they will have over 8.5 square feet each, more than twice the minimal suggested room per chicken in a coop. If your measurements are correct, I'm surprised this design said it would only hold 3 chickens. You should be fine with this coop as is.

Hey, this is BunnyLover44 and I saw a design for a coop that said it could hold 3 chickens ( the measurements are 5'1" x 12') but I have 7 chickens so I want to double it ... not sure it will fit 7 chickens comfortably. Help me/my chickens get a coop!!
barnie.gif
D.gif
Did it say that it could hold 3 chickens or a MAXIMUM of 3 chickens? I coop with that square footge could hold 7 comfortably but I am don't know the specifics of the coop design.

Are these dimensions for a coop or a coop and run combination? The coop is the little house where the chickens sleep, plus lay eggs and spend time when the weather is bad. The run is the fenced in yard/pen where they spend most of the day. They need a lot more room in the run than they do in the coop.

for large fowl chickens you figure 4 square foot of bird for coop space, and 10 square foot for run space.

for 7 large fowl in a coop you could use these measurements as a starting point. (all in feet) 4x8, 6x6, or even 3x10

the run measurements could be: 7x10, 6x12, 8x8 would be the minimum I would use.

this is just my opinion, but the run is more important than the coop. as long as you can keep them dry and warm, the grass, insects, and fresh air and sunshine are important to overall health. build the run and put a couple dog houses in it or just cover part of the roof with metal.

Back
Top Bottom