Can a chicken fertilize sperm from two different roosters at the same?

Your question is worded a little vague but I'll try to answer. One hen can carry the sperm of one or many roos but only one sperm will fertilize one egg. Unless you have a double yoker. One hen can there for lay eggs fertilized by several different roos within a 2 month period.

I understand you have to keep a hen away from undesirable roosters for 4 weeks to be certain that sperm from the undesirable rooster is out of her system.

The preferred rooster can be allowed with the hen during the isolation period, but will not be guaranteed to be the father of the eggs laid during that 4 weeks, might be his or the roosters that got to the hen before that isolation period started.

wait wait, so each clucth could have several fathers? for example: like out of 12 chicks, 6 can be from one rooster and the other 6 can be from the other rooster?

Quote:
Yep...a clutch is made up of eggs laid once a day for several days. Each egg had a father (roo) contribution...each egg could have received a contribution from a different roo. So a clutch of a dozen eggs would very well have numerous fathers!

Okay, so lifespan of chicken sperm is 30 days???

Does that mean if I mated a hen with a rooster on day one, then kept her isolated all the eggs for the next 30 days could technically be fertilized by that one mating?

Back
Top Bottom