can a goose hatch chicken eggs?

fowlwoman1

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Wenatchee, WA
I have a crazy broody goose, whose eggs are not fertile. If I give her chicken eggs will she break them if she steps on them? that is my main concern. she's so cute... I see her every day with this little flock of 4 two-month old guineas. It's like she would like to convince them to be her babies. They were very afraid of her at first, but now they let her herd them around a little. They're the only animals in the barnyard right now that she doesn't attack. I"m probably going to pen her up alone because she has really been a pest since she started laying again.

I have to ask, is she the only goose? I did the same thing and other members told me I should get him a friend because they are very social birds. That's why I can't wait for my Toulouse eggs coming up soon to hatch.

Hmmmm, I am not positive either way if she could break the eggs. I mean, I would give it a shot. Eggs are very hardy and I think if she's broody, then let her try to hatch a few. The only thing you want to avoid is letting her swim, because that could drown the chicks if they try to follow her in.

If you do it, let us know! That would be interesting to hear.

Last edited:
I don't know if this really helps or not...
But we have 2 geese that are on nests right now..
Actually one hatched babies on Monday..Still 2 eggs in her nest. The other one has a nest of about 10 eggs or so, she hasn't gone broody yet, but the chickens have added to her eggs. I believe there are about 4 chicken eggs in there. So far the goose hasn't broke the chicken eggs. Actually I have noticed them in different spots, so she must be turning them along with her own eggs.

Now I don't know if they will hatch or not, but the goose doesn't seem to mind them in her nest...

Shawna

I tried letting the duck eggs that my duck was laying in the goose nest remain (since we have no gander, our goose eggs aren't fertile). However, she got upset with us working in the barn and ended up smashing all the duck eggs. Disappointing. I was really hoping she'd set the duck eggs.

she has a mate, but he is so old and crippled that he doesn't even try to mount her. he can barely walk. the kids around here call him "the tripping goose". He gets along though. He's always been crippled due to him jumping from my arms and breaking his neck when I was a kid. He's 15 or 16 years old now. the female is only about 10 or 11.

I have a young goose who went broody. She has turned aggressive and insists on laying on a bare spot of ground to brood. Her eggs are not fertile. I was debating on whether or not to put fertilized chicken eggs under her.....will it work? Will she mother and raise them? I can't find much on the topic.

I put 4 chicken eggs near my broody goose. She took them instantly. Wonder if she will hatch them or break them? Only time will tell. I will keep yall updated.

Eh, she is just breaking and eating them all.....
th.gif

Last edited:
My Brody goose has been sitting on chicken eggs for about 12 days now. My main concern is for when the chicks hatch, will my goose be too heavy?

my duck hates nesting and actually lays her eggs in our goose nest kinda sneeks them in. The goose never gives it a second thought she tends to them just the same and never breaks any. She is a lone goose if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom