Can a hen give out a warning call?

Hen Hilton of Georgia

In the Brooder
May 28, 2023
I have 7 hens and 1 rooster....the rooster knocked up his leg somehow (sprained, he does wobble to the feeders), so he is semi lame & not feeling well...my crossbeak female Georgette, who is the top hen, just today, made a warning call when a buzzard flew over :eek: Georgette has never made that noise before, and i was shocked...so is it possible, that a hen can give out warning signs when a predator is lurking, and knows the male is not capable?

Attachments

• IMG_20230527_175408636.jpg
    IMG_20230527_175408636.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 182
Yes, indeed every flock member is able to do this and they will, even at a very young age.
I have seen and heard two week old chicks make the warning call even when out and about with their mother hen.
Oh ok...I thought only MALES could make that noise, but had no idea a female would do that....at first, I thought Georgette was a George, so thus I came here to make sure...she has never laid an egg yet, as she is roughly 6 months old, as well as the other hens...her deformity of the wattle, i thought maybe was a disguise...but she is very friendly and loves being held, but is strict to the bones with the other hens behaviours....lol...Thank you for answering my question!

Last edited:
Being a cross-beak she will have some problems with acquiring extra protein from hunting insects etc. which could lead to a later start in laying.
Nevertheless she made it clear that she indeed is a valuable member of the flock.
On our TikTok (@picklesthepupfanpage), ever since my daughter delivered her and her siblings to my coop as young chicks, she is very special & I have to make a mash for her to eat comfortably (sometimes i add bread with milk)...I definitely want to keep her nourished as the others :love

Last edited:
I only have hens. As I’m learning their “vocals” have different meanings. I’m familiar with the “I’ve laid an egg” squawk and the “your ignoring us” and “let us out” squawks. There has also been the coo’ing noise as all hens face the same direction as though it’s an alert of some-sort out in the woods that surround us. They’re not freaking out, just “alerting” as best as I can tell.

However, the other day while the hens were “free-ranging” inside the acre chainlink fenced area (I have issues with coyotes, raccoons, fox, possums, etc), they alerted in a way I’d never heard before. When I dashed out to see what was happening, they were all in a line as a gray rat snake was coming into their yard.

What good girls! While on the surface I don’t mind rat snakes as they are focused on eating the eggs (hens are big enough now they don’t “appear” to be on the snake’s menu). I was pleased that the girls alerted on the threat until I got there!

So back on topic, I do believe the hens will send out a particular call when it’s a perceived threat … and the more I respond to a particular call the more I hope they will continue to do it. I think this is more the hens training me as we develop our symbiotic relationship.

As a side note, I find listening to my girls is a life saver … they are speaking to me as best they know how (and best as I am willing to listen). I have 12 pullets that are 13-15 weeks old. They have been free ranging for a couple weeks now under close supervision. I’ve noticed that when an owl hoots (oddly during the day) … the baby girls will head for cover. The primal instincts they have amaze me every day. I just need to listen and be aware to keep them safe!!

Back
Top Bottom