can a pig live with chickens?

mommy9994

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
central VA
I'm wondering if we got a pig, would it be ok to put it with the chickens? would they get along, or would the pig hurt them? We don't have a ton of property, and it's important to us that all of our animals have all the pasture they can. We are considering fencing all the available land for pasture and letting everything run together. Not ideal I know, but it's what we have. I just don't want the pig to hurt anyone. How about goats and chickens/pig?

I think the answer is no. Check out jennyhaschicks recent post on her free range chickens accidentally getting in with her pigs....the pigs attacked. hopefully someone with more experience can help out more though.

No the pigs will eat their room mates within the first few minutes. You could put the goats with the chickens i think but keep the pig very well separated so their heads can't even poke thru fencing.

Last edited:
Nope. Just do a search function with your keyword being "Pigs" "Eating" "chickens" and you will find the answer out for yourself.

There was recently a thread in the Predators and Pests section on it.

-Kim

Nope, pigs eat chickens
big_smile.png

I would let my hogs run with the mules. There was about an acre of land. They got along great. But they would chase after the goats and birds. Beware pigs will eat or mouth anything.

Well, I haven't had any trouble with my pig with the chickens and goats. Katie Pigpig will, however, eat all the eggs
roll.png
if let into the coop. She is only four months old though and has been around them since she was three weeks old. One of the goats likes her because when the goat lays down Katie will come and root on her back and the goat gets a massage.
cool.png

I bet lots of animals could get along if they are raised together. Sound like you have a great piggy. My pigs would get on the mules as soon as they would lay down to roll. They would do the belly roll. Just like the goats and mules. I have never been able to get a pic.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom