Can a recovered internal layer begin to lay again????

Kait27

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Central Massachusetts
Hi All...
A few months ago I posted about a very sick suspected internal layer... you can read about it here if you want the back story:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=362549&p=1

In short, she stopped laying sometime in April or May, got very sick in June to the point where I was just waiting for her to die, but eventually recovered on her own and is now pretty much completely recovered, except for the fact that she no longer lays. I accepted the fact that she might not ever produce again, and I'm content to just let her live out her life as a freeloader. After she was well on her way to recovery, I discovered that her behavior had reverted to that of an immature pullet who had yet to lay- she didn't squat, she didn't really want to be touched, and she was much more stand-off-ish when approaching for treats. I figured her body had stopped producing the hormones necessary for egg production, and that perhaps she was just done laying for life. Until this week.

Twice now, when I've reached out towards her, rather than running away, she squatted!! I know this was a sign that eggs were coming soon when they were pullets, so can a recovered internal layer begin laying again? is it possible for her to be a healthy, normal layer? I know she's always at risk for internal laying again, but is it possible that she might lay regular eggs?

Yes, she may lay again, in fact probably will.
People with internal layers have reported here that they are at a much higher risk of it happening again.

Glad she pulled through, Good luck

Imp

Well, that answers it. She laid an egg yesterday! She's 14 months old, but laid a tiny pullet-sized egg. Guess she has to start all over and work her way back up to big-girl eggs.

Back
Top Bottom