can adult chickens be vaccinated for marek's?

Nice to meet you, too
frow.gif

Enjoy your weekend! We are heading out to a local church carnival...should be fun!

Quote:
I am writing in generalities here for all that are reading this;I apologize that I sounded like I was personally attacking you. I am not. I'm glad that you bring up "the dark Side" . Everything has risks and benefits. It is up to each of us to get educated and understand the benefits and the risks. ANd use our best judgement. I did not write my post to create an arguement but rather add more concrete information than the vague guessing I see in the earlier posts. Merecks vaccine is widely used. It is reasonably priced and easy to use. As I have said repeatedly go to Dr Browns website and read the instructions for the dividing of the Mercks vaccine; he gives COMPLETE instructions on dividing this vaccine. He is giving the "off label" instructions AND providing a method to extend the usefulness of the vaccine to 2-2.5 hours by putting it a cold water bath.

My vets use drugs for off label use; all that means is that the manufacturer has not done the studies required by regulation to label it any other way. For example : my vet used high doses of oxytetracycline to relax the tendons in a newborn foal with contracted tendons. THis is an off label use that is fairly safe and effective. THis is a common practice among vets.

Enough said.

Edited to add: When I talked to Peter Brown and spoke to him at length I was under the impression that he was a veterinarian. In view of the comments below, I have tried to verify that Peter Brown is a vet and cannot do so. So in consideration of this fact, as I said before, continue to do your own research and decide for yourself what course of action to take regarding vaccinating with Merecks vaccine.

Last edited:
"Dr." Peter Brown is not a vet or a doctor. Doc is a nickname used by many. People know him as "the Chicken Doc" because of his vast knowledge of chickens.

I am writing in generalities here for all that are reading this;I apologize that I sounded like I was personally attacking you. I am not. I'm glad that you bring up "the dark Side" . Everything has risks and benefits. It is up to each of us to get educated and understand the benefits and the risks. ANd use our best judgement. I did not write my post to create an arguement but rather add more concrete information than the vague guessing I see in the earlier posts. Merecks vaccine is widely used. It is reasonably priced and easy to use. As I have said repeatedly go to Dr Browns website and read the instructions for the dividing of the Mercks vaccine; he gives COMPLETE instructions on dividing this vaccine. He is giving the "off label" instructions AND providing a method to extend the usefulness of the vaccine to 2-2.5 hours by putting it a cold water bath. My vets use drugs for off label use; all that means is that the manufacturer has not done the studies required by regulation to label it any other way. For example : my vet used high doses of oxytetracycline to relax the tendons in a newborn foal with contracted tendons. THis is an off label use that is fairly safe and effective. THis is a common practice among vets.

I don't appreciate being attacked for simply repeating the instructions from a reputable avian vet. Read for yourself, Dr Browns instructions.

Enough said.

Hi Arielle!
frow.gif
I use drugs and vaccines off label as well, but ya never know when someone would have a reaction to something that I might have suggested. I was just protecting myself by adding a tiny disclaimer that I wasn't suggesting everyone do what I did.
(I tried to find 'Dr. Browns' instructions in case it was a little different than I do but couldn't find it. Is there a link you could provide?)

Have a good weekend,
Nellie

I, too, think my next batch will be vaccinated for coccidiosis as well. My last 4 that died had coccidiosis and there were no symptoms until hours before they died.

Does anybody know what strains are covered by the vaccine? How about the incidence of failure?

E.acerrvulina, E.brunetti, E.hagani, E.maxima, E.mirati, E.necatrix, E.praecox, and E.tenella

Failure depends on so many variables. Was the vaccine good, was it administered correctly, and did they ingest
enough oocysts to give a good immunity.

Having said all that, it is a much better option than not vaccinating (in my humble opinion....).
smile.png

Does anybody know what strains are covered by the vaccine? How about the incidence of failure?

Back
Top Bottom