Can all my chicks go to the coop?

Newchickey

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Chicks are 5 weeks old tomorrow. I have been taking them out to the large coop during the day and back into the brooder at night as some nights it gets real chilly. I am keeping an eye out on the low temp each night, and its between 50 and 55 most the time. It looks like most will be feathered in and feathers on their head by next weekend, so I am planning on putting them out then. I have only a few things to finish to make sure all is secure at night and the run is secure to.

My question is, my Columbian Wyandotte is still mostly fuzz! Cute little yellow and grey boy. He is much smaller than the rest of the flock to. His white and black wing feathers are about 2 inches long now, tiny tail feathers are beginning to poke through and a see a few tiny black feathers on his neck. Other than that he is still a fuzz ball. And I have two Silkies bantams. One is half the size of the other. She has finally learned to fly, but her head doesnt have the topknot yet, just her baby fuzz. Can these two go out with the others, or should I still bring them in at night?

With them going in the coop during the day, and by Wednesday will get to go outside to. When I finally leave them out, should I do the lock them in for a couple of nights without access to the run during the day at all? For a short time? Just dont know how I am suppose to do this.

Most chicks are fine after about four to five weeks. If you question it-- check on your chicks during the night. If they are sleeping next to each other but not huddled under each other then they are doing great. Check on them every couple of hours once it starts to get a bit colder like around midnight, then again at two--- this should tell you if you are going to be okay. Have you noticed if they still use the brooder light at night or are they away from it?

Do you happen to have power in your coop, or a way to run an extension cord for a week or so? I always tend to baby my young ones, and give them the opportunity to choose up to six weeks sometimes. Many seem to move them at four weeks, I just don't feel that I need to move them and take the heat from them at the same time.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

I read that it's fine to put young ones in the coop overnight without a heat source if it doesn't dip below 60. Mine will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday, and I took the heat lamp away 4-5 days ago, and they are fine but they are still indoors, and I have 8 in a plastic bin so lots of body heat! I'm probably going to move mine to their coop before 4 weeks old because they seem way too big for the brooder, but it doesn't dip below 60 here.

Your chicks are super cute by the way! Mine aren't even 3 weeks and they are getting all their feathers so they look like they got in a bar fight at this point!

I have the small brinsea brooder and it is at its highest height now and I think maybe three could fit under there now. 5 weeks ago all 20 could lol. I checked in the middle of the night and first thing this morning. I have a red light on in the room so they can sleep but I can see them. Two were sitting on top of the heat plate, non were underneath. Not even the little ones, but it is 70 in the house. 55 outside. Yes I could run a extention cord outside to the coop. It is 8x8, that little plate will seem so tiny! But I would guess those that need it will get there. I am not putting them out until 6 weeks, but what about my little guy that is still all fuzz very little feathers and everyone else is about feathered out? Should I be worried about him, is he just a slow developer? He is active, eats, drinks. He is the one that loves to sit on my lap. so he is a baby! Even though he is small he is exerting his roosteriness on everyone! lol

Back
Top Bottom