Can an egg buddy be used to check....

zabi

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 6, 2014
Lusaka
Hello fellow BYCs,
I hope this is the right place for this post.
So here is my question, has anybody ever tried using an egg buddy to check fertility of emu eggs, if you have, does it work or not?
I bought 3 eggs from my local farmer and now its been 10 days and I would really like to know if the eggs are a dub or they are fertile cause waiting for 52 days and then finding out that they aren't fertile would be such a waste.... I have a friend who has an egg buddy that I tried using and it showed me that they are all infertile, so wanted a second opinion from an expert just to be 100% sure before I make a mistake of cracking the eggs and then finding out that they were fertile which would be so heart touching. I do smell check and weight check and all is going well so far, but I read a post on BYC emu forum that those can not be best method to find out fertility. Thanks in advance

If no eggs are stinking or leaking, give them a chance. In terms of life, 52 days is a drop in the bucket. Please don't end their lives because of impatience.

If no eggs are stinking or leaking, give them a chance. In terms of life, 52 days is a drop in the bucket. Please don't end their lives because of impatience.
Hi, I haven't killed them nor was I intending to.... its just that I wanted to find out if an egg buddy does work the same as other species of birds.... it' now been 21 days and I am still taking care of them.... I found a very good article on Google on how they develop from day to day 51

Hello I have an Egg Buddy as well. I don't think they should be relied on at all. Mine gives false readings the slightest vibration will set it off. I have see it not pick up the heart beat as well. When this happens I try and re position the egg and give it a sec to settle. Since this is an old post how did things turn out?

Hi, I haven't killed them nor was I intending to.... its just that I wanted to find out if an egg buddy does work the same as other species of birds.... it' now been 21 days and I am still taking care of them.... I found a very good article on Google on how they develop from day to day 51
Could you drop a link?

This is an interesting bit of technology and while I'd like to test it for emus on a larger scale and at various days of incubation, I don't think it's reliable enough to decide the fertility or survival of an egg like an emu's. Their shells are so thick that it's like they're developing inside a ceramic vase or bone casing, rather than the relatively thin shells we're used to on eggs -for which this device seems to have been designed.
How are your eggs doing? They should probably be wiggling by now.

Back
Top Bottom