Can any goose produce foie gras ?

razvanM

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 14, 2012
Can any goose produce foie gras ? I mean,I know only toulouse and landes geese are forcefeed to produce foie gras,but why them and not other breeds ? Can you tell me a few brees that could suit the foie gras production ? Just curious. Thanks.

Well,the french producers do that since the 17th century,and foie gras is much tastier than normal liver,and unlike others,I dont think the traditional foie gras is a cruel thing,of course the factory farmed one is cruel like any other factory farm raised animal but not the traditional foie.

I ag
Well,the french producers do that since the 17th century,and foie gras is much tastier than normal liver,and unlike others,I dont think the traditional foie gras is a cruel thing,of course the factory farmed one is cruel like any other factory farm raised animal but not the traditional foie.
I agree. I think from what I know about it any good or actually even duck could produce it. the traditional method isn't bad.

Well,traditionally the geese are raised all their life outside and stay inside only during the forcefeeding time(a few weeks) they are fed corn soaked in salty water 2 times per day,for 28 days,that is done only 3 months per year(not year round),and they are kept in large pens all togheter.The traditional gavage lasts from 30 secs to a few minutes depending on the type of funnel used.
The industrial method the ducks/geese are kept in individual cages where they cant nether move,nether turn or move in any way,they are fed a mash of cereals(that almost always enters thet traheea and makes them struggle when they breathe)with a pneumatic pump,4 times per day for 12 or 15 days.In this feeding method up to 1 kg of paste are injected into the birds crop in just a few seconds causing huge pressure on its neck.
Videos for both methods so you can see the huge diference from a suffering and non suffering animal
Traditional foie gras forcefeding or gavage
First video 3:00,second video 1 : 49
And here is the cruel industrial way so you can compare the two

Most foie gras comes from ducks - I don't know what breed, though.

I heard of an experimental way of producing foie gras with no force feeding at all. Instead, the geese get feed that is very high in sugar, thus developing a fatty liver. It's supposed to be the goose friendly way of making foie gras.

I still don't like it. The fatty liver itself is morbid - just like the chickens that gain weight so fast they can't walk.

Most foie gras comes from ducks - I don't know what breed, though.

I heard of an experimental way of producing foie gras with no force feeding at all. Instead, the geese get feed that is very high in sugar, thus developing a fatty liver. It's supposed to be the goose friendly way of making foie gras.

I still don't like it. The fatty liver itself is morbid - just like the chickens that gain weight so fast they can't walk.
I agree goose girl, now matter what they do to produce this fatty liver it's still cruel to me. Things us humans will do to get enjoyment out of life.

Videos for both methods so you can see the huge diference from a suffering and non suffering animal
Traditional foie gras forcefeding or gavage
First video 3:00,second video 1 : 49
And here is the cruel industrial way so you can compare the two
All the videos are featuring muscovy ducks; not geese.

I'm not so sure about them not suffering. Muscovy ducks don't quack or honk; they have a very low whispering sound. I watched the first video, and if you treated a goose that way, it would scream bloody murder.

Back
Top Bottom