Can anyone describe this mutt rooster?

UncleChuck

Chirping
Aug 22, 2023
NW Florida
I just absolutely adore this guy. He goes by Momo or Mr. Montgomery Montegue (Pretty Dukeish for a face that reminds me of Jeff Daniels' character in Dumb & Dumber). I've been studying color and pattern jargon and playing around with both chicken calculators... kind of like 2nd grader playing with his older brother's graphing calculator. And I'm just really curious how knowledgeable chicken folk would describe this guy.
20240305_131538.jpg
20240305_131649.jpg

Easter Egger of some kind. Can't tell much more without seeing the tail along with the body in a clear image. I would wager one of his parents was an Ameraucana. You probably know that much though, beard and shape make it obvious

Easter Egger of some kind. Can't tell much more without seeing the tail along with the body in a clear image. I would wager one of his parents was an Ameraucana. You probably know that much though, beard and shape make it obvious.
Yeah, he's an Ameraucana BCM cross. What I'm curious about is what his coloring/patterning would be called.

Easter Egger of some kind. Can't tell much more without seeing the tail along with the body in a clear image. I would wager one of his parents was an Ameraucana. You probably know that much though, beard and shape make it obvious
I did get one like that. He hasn't molted yet.
20240305_131635.jpg

I think the color is Blue Pyle
That's a hard one to find examples for, most are just red but they definitely match. The red looks like Pyle and the blue looks like splash. Is that what they call leakage?

Do you have a photo of or know what his chick down looked like? He could be either duckwing, partridge, or wheaten based, all of which are possible with Easter Eggers.

As for color, he's a silver/gold split or golden and has one copy of the blue gene. The red on his shoulders is autosomal red. Beside feather coloring, he also has the genes for muffs and beards, and a singular copy of the feathered feet and pea comb gene. Because he has a pea comb gene, he also has a high likelihood of having at least one gene for blue eggs.

I would probably call him a golden blue duckwing (or whatever e-base he is) with autosomal red.

Do you have a photo of or know what his chick down looked like? He could be either duckwing, partridge, or wheaten based, all of which are possible with Easter Eggers.

As for color, he's a silver/gold split or golden and has one copy of the blue gene. The red on his shoulders is autosomal red. Beside feather coloring, he also has the genes for muffs and beards, and a singular copy of the feathered feet and pea comb gene. Because he has a pea comb gene, he also has a high likelihood of having at least one gene for blue eggs.

I would probably call him a golden blue duckwing (or whatever e-base he is) with autosomal red.
Yes, I do and I think your first guess is right!
He looks more like a duckwing than a partridge or wheaten to me.
image000000(7).jpg

image000001.jpg

Thank you, that's so much fun to know! I've been curious for months.

Yes, I do and I think your first guess is right!
He looks more like a duckwing than a partridge or wheaten to me.
View attachment 3765315
View attachment 3765316

Thank you, that's so much fun to know! I've been curious for months.
Yup, that's definitely duckwing down. If you want to enter it into the calculator he would be e+/e+ S/s+ Bl/bl+

And I know exactly what you mean! One of my favorite things about hatching chicks from our flock is figuring out the color genetics and how those genes look on the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom