Can anyone identify this flower

It looks like Rosa canina, the Dog Rose. Small prickle thorns that snag your clothes rather than huge thorns, can be white or pink, and blooms once a year for a few weeks in late spring/early summer.
It can be invasive and can overwhelm other plantings in a season in my garden. I let them grow wild on the edge of the woods, but get rid of them as soon as I find them near deliberate plantings.

Dog roses are just one species of "wild rose". Others include acicularis, laevigata (the Cherokee Rose), suffuita, and many others native to the U.S. or introduced and naturalized like R. canina was. Examples of those are R. rugosa and R. multiflora (which also looks similar to the OP's example.) The introduced species tend to be aggressive growers and some are listed as noxious weeds for certain states.
Cryss can determine which one she has by doing a thorough examination of flowers, foliage, thorns, fragrance, etc. and comparing to those known to grow in her area.

Sorry about tmi. I'm a plant nerd. True confession.:oops:

Dog roses are just one species of "wild rose". Others include acicularis, laevigata (the Cherokee Rose), suffuita, and many others native to the U.S. or introduced and naturalized like R. canina was. Examples of those are R. rugosa and R. multiflora (which also looks similar to the OP's example.) The introduced species tend to be aggressive growers and some are listed as noxious weeds for certain states.
Cryss can determine which one she has by doing a thorough examination of flowers, foliage, thorns, fragrance, etc. and comparing to those known to grow in her area.

Sorry about tmi. I'm a plant nerd. True confession.:oops:
Thank you! I need a plant nerd in my life!:yesss:

Back
Top Bottom