Can Bantams and Buff Orpingtons be in same coop?

JacksHomestead

Chirping
Jul 29, 2015
Huntsville AL,
I was wondering if i could have bantams in with buff 's, some said that they will be bullied by big chickens but the buff 's are calm and kind. My run is 4ft x12 and i was wanted to get bantams as well, could i do this without problems? Thoughts ?????
idunno.gif

If they have enough space and places to get away from each other and do their own thing, they can coexist...

This is what i was thinking as well and with the kind nature of the buffs i think it will work!!

I have 3 Barred Rocks, 3 Buffs, and 2 bantam Pencilled Rocks in a 5'x7' coop with an 8'x12' covered run and daily access to the backyard for about 4 hours.

The Buffs don't mind the bantams and will eat alongside them fine. The bantams stay out of the way of all the big girls but don't seem to worry about the Buffs the way they do about the Barred Rocks. I make sure to give them time in the backyard to give the bantams a break so they don't have to constantly be looking over their shoulders. They will group peacefully with the Buffs while free ranging.

I did have to put in a second, lower roost for the bantams in both the coop and run. I added a raised platform to the run and provided a second food and water station. I also removed a few slats from a pallet and installed it vertically to provide a visual screen in the run. The bantams can get through the spaces easily but the big girls can't. So far the setup is working well. We'll see how they do in winter when all they have access to is the coop and run.

The inside of my coop is rather small and i have one roost inside ...enough room for about 3-4 regular size chickens. And idk if i have room to have another roost for the banty's??

Last edited:
Integration of new birds in a small coop is tough. When those birds are younger or smaller, it's even tougher. Besides considering whether or not you have enough space for all the birds to fit once integrated, you need to consider if you have enough space for them while they are getting to know each other and sort out the new order of things. In the beginning my bantams needed a lot more space to feel safe around the big girls. They gave them a very wide berth. And the big girls demanded it, even the more mellow Buffs to some extent, giving some pretty sharp pecks and running them off. For a good two weeks I kept the bantams in a dog crate in the coop at night because there was just no way for them to get away if need be. Once some time passed and everyone knew that everyone else knew where everyone belonged in the order then things settled down nicely. When I noticed the bantams putting themselves to bed on the lower roost instead of hiding out in the crate I figured they were comfortable enough that I didn't have to worry. I still keep an eye out for any bullying though and do things like tossing treats and scratch far and wide so as to help avoid conflict.

Last edited:
I have 14 LF birds, orps mostlly, and have 4 silkies that I got in May. I slowly intro'd keeping them in a separate pen within my chicken area for quite some time. My outdoor run is 12 x 20, inside is 12 x 10. However, I do have a separate inside area that is small just for the silkies. I haven't seen the orps pick on the silkies but I do have a Columbian wyandotte who can be a 'witch' :) They are all together now, it's been almost 2 months, and things are ok, I still however, put the silkies in a separate area at nite .

I think it depends too on what kind of bantams your talking about. My bantam Rocks look like a regular chicken, just smaller. Breeds like Polish and Silkies can attract unwanted pecking just because of how they look. Different breeds have different temperaments and that goes for bantams too. My little bantams are feisty. In a flock of all bantams I would expect they would hold their own quite well. They are only lowest in my flock because the rest of my birds are standard. I think if I didn't have my standard Rocks the bantams would be roosting with and on pretty equal terms with the Buffs. That might not be the case with Silkies or other more docile bantam breeds.

Back
Top Bottom