Can chick have comb not true to breed?

chicksurreal

Songster
6 Years
Dec 3, 2013
Arizona
I have a Silver Spangled Hamburg chick that has a single comb. I know he's a product of my SSH roo and a SSH hen, so there's no question about breed, but they are hatchery stock. How often does this happen? His hatchmate, who at this point seems to be a pullet, has the rose comb. No comb visible, but the space is there. I'm just curious about how this could happen. I have no problem with it, but it's just odd.

He's 7 weeks old and already crowing, cutest little bugger, but the comb has me questioning...

PS - the date on the camera is wrong. I just took this pic this morning.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert on breeding, but coming from hatchery stock he may have that gene in him. I'd like to hear what others have to say because I think this is very interesting.
smile.png

I'm not an expert on breeding, but coming from hatchery stock he may have that gene in him. I'd like to hear what others have to say because I think this is very interesting.
smile.png
Thanks! Me too, I was shocked to see the single comb because all of my Hamburgs have the rose comb and the rooster had a gigantic rose comb, to the point where it was a detriment, he couldn't even see past it. I'm almost happy to see the single comb, Lol.

Thanks! Me too, I was shocked to see the single comb because all of my Hamburgs have the rose comb and the rooster had a gigantic rose comb, to the point where it was a detriment, he couldn't even see past it. I'm almost happy to see the single comb, Lol.
Wow! I'm very interested in genes in any animal, and I believe recently it was theorized that human eye genes have at least 3 contributors (rather than just mother and father). Perhaps the same is true with chicken combs?

Wow! I'm very interested in genes in any animal, and I believe recently it was theorized that human eye genes have at least 3 contributors (rather than just mother and father). Perhaps the same is true with chicken combs?
Very interesting! This is the first year that we have had broodys and decide to hatch some of our own chicks, so it's all an experiment in genetics at this point. Lol!

We have one flock of Hamburgs, unfortunately the roo was taken by a predator, so no more chicks from that line. I'm happy to have two from him.

And then we have another flock that has a Cuckoo Marans roo with Black Australorps, Blue Andalusians, Dark Cornish, Delawares,Brown Leghorns and Silver Laced Wyandottes. The crosses are amazing, we've had quite a few broody girls this year and decided to set eggs under them. I love all the chicks that have come from them and the interesting thing is that they all have green eyes! Even the Australorp chicks. Very interesting. Lol!

Single combs sometimes pop up in hatchery quality rose comb breeds such as Hamburgs and Wyandottes. However, if you want to preserve the SS Hamburg standards I wouldn't use him for breeding purposes.

Single combs sometimes pop up in hatchery quality rose comb breeds such as Hamburgs and Wyandottes. However, if you want to preserve the SS Hamburg standards I wouldn't use him for breeding purposes.
Thanks for the confirmation! I'm not really looking to preserve the breed through these chicks, I wanted to have some chicks from the rooster that we had because he was such a good boy, taken by a predator and we were fortunate enough to have a broody in our other pen that we could give some fertilized eggs to. Three weeks after he was taken! Amazing!

I'd love to have more SSH's from a private breeder that adheres to the SOP. I love the breed and think they are worth preserving, but these are just my pets and I love them for what they are.

Sure they can, some hatchery silkies have a single comb rather than walnut. I think you chick is adorable and will be a beautiful bird when grown. If you want him as a pet, he's great. If you decide you would like to breed to the SOP - get yourself a really typy , quality cockerel from a show breeder.

Hatchery birds often have many deviations from the Standard of perfection. Sometimes they don't look anything like the breed. They can certainly be purebred but, from very faulty parents.

Thanks for the confirmation! I'm not really looking to preserve the breed through these chicks, I wanted to have some chicks from the rooster that we had because he was such a good boy, taken by a predator and we were fortunate enough to have a broody in our other pen that we could give some fertilized eggs to. Three weeks after he was taken! Amazing!

I'd love to have more SSH's from a private breeder that adheres to the SOP. I love the breed and think they are worth preserving, but these are just my pets and I love them for what they are.

You're welcome.

The comb is controlled by 2 gens that any of them have two alleles("option") and any of them must be present in 2 copys in the. Chicken, one from the roo, and one from the hen.

The gene R- rose comb that can be :Dominant-R , or recessive-r
The gene P- pea comb that can be :Dominant-P, or recessive-p
The combination of gens are:
RRPP- walnut comb
RrPp-walnutcomb
RRpp- rose comb
Rrpp-rose comb
rrPP- pea comb
rrPp- pea comb
rrpp- single comb
So the parents of your chicken aren't homozygous for the comb genes!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom