Hen Pecked Wolves

In the Brooder
May 27, 2023
I have these beautiful blue vervain plants growing and I’m wondering if my chickens can eat them!?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    925.9 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    841.2 KB · Views: 7
They can, they won't as long as you are providing something for them to eat other than Blue Vervain. That is, a small amount won't hurt them. However, its very unpalatable to most critters, including chickens. They may try it, but they are unlikely to consume large quantities and will likely avoid it. High in tannins and some other things that make it quite bitter and not at all nutritious for them.

So don't ppanic, you don't need to rip it out

I have these beautiful blue vervain plants growing and I’m wondering if my chickens can eat them!?!
Chickens generally seem to know what is poison to them. That's a beautiful plant. When I did a Google plant search though, I found it appears like Blue Porterweed, which is the same verbena/vervain family and in some places it's called the same thing. Regardless, the plants in this family are safe for chickens but sounds like they probably won't eat it as it might be bitter to them. It's a native, and some use it's leaves to make a tea for stomach problems.

Than
They can, they won't as long as you are providing something for them to eat other than Blue Vervain. That is, a small amount won't hurt them. However, its very unpalatable to most critters, including chickens. They may try it, but they are unlikely to consume large quantities and will likely avoid it. High in tannins and some other things that make it quite bitter and not at all nutritious for them.

So don't ppanic, you don't need to rip it out
Thank you so much!

Chickens generally seem to know what is poison to them. That's a beautiful plant. When I did a Google plant search though, I found it appears like Blue Porterweed, which is the same verbena/vervain family and in some places it's called the same thing. Regardless, the plants in this family are safe for chickens but sounds like they probably won't eat it as it might be bitter to them. It's a native, and some use it's leaves to make a tea for stomach problems.
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom