Can Chickens give you tuberculosis?

9d84runner

Songster
6 Years
Jul 20, 2016
Yuma, AZ
I have a friend who told me I need to wear a mask when I'm cleaning the coop. She said her mother in-law got tuberculosis from having chickens and can't have them anymore... Is that true? I tried googling it and it says chickens can get tuberculosis but nothing really on chickens giving it to humans. We only have 5 chickens and they free range a lot and it doesn't get that dirty... Has anyone heard of this?

There are lung disorders that can be caused by exposure to the dander, dust, feces of birds of all sorts. Psittacosis is a lung infection that can be caused by a bacterium sometimes contained in bird feces. Pigeon lung is a hypersensitivity allergic reaction to pigeon dander. I am not certain whether or not TB from birds is a realistic here in the US, but other lung conditions are a possibility.

There are lung disorders that can be caused by exposure to the dander, dust, feces of birds of all sorts. Psittacosis is a lung infection that can be caused by a bacterium sometimes contained in bird feces. Pigeon lung is a hypersensitivity allergic reaction to pigeon dander. I am not certain whether or not TB from birds is a realistic here in the US, but other lung conditions are a possibility.

Would it have to be large amounts of birds or should I worry about 5 birds? I rake out the coop and run every few weeks. Ek!

Back
Top Bottom