Can chickens stand the cold weather?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a question. I have a small, off the ground coop that's going to have 4-6 hens in it (they won't be out until next winter.) I didn't build it, but it seems to be made pretty well. However, the ventilation slots (one on each side) towards the bottom of the coop, below the roost and nest boxes. There is no insulation, and since it's off the ground there is empty air between the coop and the ground. How dangerous could this be in bad weather? What can I do to keep them warm?

On some cold winter days my smallest BO hen October "Toby" asks for this treatment:

This morning, she and I walked all the way out to the main road to pick up the newspaper (probably 1/4 mile) ... she slept the whole time and didn't want to get out when we got back! My neighbors must think I'm a NUT JOB! LOL! She's warm, I'm warm!

I really have to say I am completely amazed at my little flock. I am in northwest Ohio, although it certainly has felt more like the North pole this year! We have had several six day stretches of below zero temps with wind chills as low as forty below. Unreal. My flock of 33 is just fine :p! I put a thick layer of straw on the floor and in the nest boxes, I have a regular sixty watt light bulb lite all the time, a heated base for their water, and I keep them closed up but with good ventilation. No frozen waddles or toes and they are laying like mad! Two dozen every day or more. Now I have had a few. Frozen eggs but my dog benefits from that. They are nice frozen egg-sickles! He chows them down! Today was finally warm enough for me to got out and clean the coop, it was thirty! The dog goes in the coop with me and he uncovered three mice nests for the girls, they do love eating mice! I hope everyone is fairing as well as we are, best wishes to all, spring WILL come!
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f414.png
1f424.png

I love it! I thought I was the only one that did this! I have a RSL, Martha, that begs for that treatment. She makes the cutest little cooing noises inside my coat. I love my girls!
1f414.png
1f425.png

Ok so I guess then -yes- it is ok if my girls run about the yard today for a bit.

My girls are so spoiled they still have their heat lamp and the coop is inside the insulated garage.
But they get restless if I don't let them out

Ok so I guess then -yes- it is ok if my girls run about the yard today for a bit.

My girls are so spoiled they still have their heat lamp and the coop is inside the insulated garage.
But they get restless if I don't let them out

Oh geez, if the birds are fully feathered, get rid of the heat lamp. Your wallet will appreciate it and your chickens will too. Chickens LOVE to be outside and, once they are full grown, in weather we would not find inviting.

Thank all of you for the valuable info and advice about helping chickens with the winter cold. I only have 4 fancy hens that are just beginning to lay. We have a good insulated coop but I'm worried about their water container freezing. Does anyone have advice on the best water heater to use?

Thank all of you for the valuable info and advice about helping chickens with the winter cold. I only have 4 fancy hens that are just beginning to lay. We have a good insulated coop but I'm worried about their water container freezing. Does anyone have advice on the best water heater to use?

There are lots of threads regarding winter watering.

Start by putting your location in your profile so people have an idea of just how much of a concern it is in your area. "It might get below freezing a couple of times a year" is a whole different ball game than "might go above zero during the day".

Then find the threads by typing winter water in the search box and see if you can find ideas that meet your needs.

Back
Top Bottom