Can chicks eat turkey starter?

nab58

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
CT
I'm new to Turkeys. I bought 2 Royal Palm poults last week and put them in with my 8 chicks. They're about the same size and seem to be doing fine.
I switched their food to 24% protein game bird starter and am wondering if the chicks will okay with it. Today I offered some chick starter as well and could see the poults eating it. Not sure what to do. I really don't want to seperate them as I want them to go into the grow out pen together once off heat.

I raised mine together until the turkeys were 3 months old when they were separated because the turkeys can become aggressive to the chickens. My only problem was that the turkeys had to be put in a pen next to the chicken pen because of bonding issues of raising them together. They became frantic and would not eat or drink from the separation.

I'm new to Turkeys. I bought 2 Royal Palm poults last week and put them in with my 8 chicks. They're about the same size and seem to be doing fine.
I switched their food to 24% protein game bird starter and am wondering if the chicks will okay with it. Today I offered some chick starter as well and could see the poults eating it. Not sure what to do. I really don't want to separate them as I want them to go into the grow out pen together once off heat.
A proper turkey/gamebird starter will have at least 28% protein and also has higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that the turkeys require for proper development. When I brood chicks and poults together they all get a 28% protein turkey/gamebird starter. While the chicks do not need as high a protein content, they will do fine on it.

I would not consider a 24% protein starter a quality starter for turkey poults and since it is already low in protein, I suspect that it is also low in the lysine, methionine and niacin levels.

Thank you for your replies. I was able to get Blue Seal starter which is 28% today. Luckily, the Dumor 24% was a small bag.

I didn't realize they could become aggressive. I specifically got them to raise together and was told they'd be buddies. Once they come off the heat lamp, they'll be house separately and only allowed together whil in the pasture.

Thank you for your replies. I was able to get Blue Seal starter which is 28% today. Luckily, the Dumor 24% was a small bag.

I didn't realize they could become aggressive. I specifically got them to raise together and was told they'd be buddies. Once they come off the heat lamp, they'll be house separately and only allowed together whil in the pasture.
My turkeys will leave chickens alone for the most part but sometimes they just start harassing them. I raised poults and chicks together past the 3 weeks mark only twice, and both times it didn't end well.

Poults will bond with the chicks and think they are all one species. Turkeys will always win when fighting with a chicken. Mine are now raised separately, and can range in the same area as adults, but often the chickens leave when the turkeys are out and go to the safety of their pens and shed.

I switched their food to 24% protein game bird starter and am wondering if the chicks will okay with it. Today I offered some chick starter as well and could see the poults eating it. Not sure what to do. I really don't want to seperate them as I want them to go into the grow out pen together once off heat.

yes! I have raised chickens and turkeys together for years and all get turkey starter. The fact is the chicks grow better on it. Poults must have turkey starter.

Back
Top Bottom