Can chicks get cocci in brand new coop and never been outside?

mzhof

Songster
Jul 4, 2018
Suburb Twin Cities MN
My husband built our brooder from brand new wood. Currently have 3 sections with 4 week olds in one, 3 week olds in one and 2 week olds in the baby side. Five of the older 4-week olds are d'Uccle I got from MPC as day olds, the rest I've hatched from various different breeders on eBay and Facebook. Had 1 or 2 randomly die usually around 1 week old as they didn't learn to eat with the others. But last week my husband and I went out of town for 6 days and left my 16-yr old in charge of feeding and watering them. On day 4, she reported 2 babies were dead. The next day 5 more were dead, a mix of babies and 3 week olds. I kind of blamed her for not washing the water bowls or forgetting to feed them but she swore she did. I've been home for 3 days and 3 more died today, all from the older 4-week old section. Can my chicks get cocci from never being outside before and no other chicks introduced? So baffling and of course wanting to stop it before all of them are gone. More and more of the 4-week olds are looking listless, feathers ruffled, huddled together by the heat. It's 75-80 in the brooder.

It would be a good idea to send them in for necropsy.

Cocci is not an abbreviation for coccidiosis.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/necropsy-and-disease-testing-lab-info.1236884/

Corid dosage chart.jpg

The second follow up dose is for them to build resistance. It is very important to not skip this!

Feeding Sprout chick starter from Fleet Farm, introduced chick grit to the older chicks but not the younger ones yet. Only snacks so far has been watermelon and meal worms crushed up. I'm at the bottom of a 50 lb bag but it doesn't smell any different from when it was first opened. I have 2 red bulbs, 1 over the babies and 1 set in the middle of the other 2 sections so they can share. No teflon in the house, their feeders and waterers are the generic plastic ones.

Attachments

• 20180928_194835.jpg
    20180928_194835.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20180928_194845.jpg
    20180928_194845.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 21
Feeding Sprout chick starter from Fleet Farm, introduced chick grit to the older chicks but not the younger ones yet. Only snacks so far has been watermelon and meal worms crushed up. I'm at the bottom of a 50 lb bag but it doesn't smell any different from when it was first opened. I have 2 red bulbs, 1 over the babies and 1 set in the middle of the other 2 sections so they can share. No teflon in the house, their feeders and waterers are the generic plastic ones.
Get a thermometer and measure the temp in there in a few spots.
It looks like it has closed in/glass sides and it may be too hot in there.

I would get the liquid Corid asap.

Back
Top Bottom