Can combs actually get smaller???

Noble Rooster

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
NY
So I have a 2.5-year-old red sex link girl whose comb looks like it's getting smaller!! She's molting right now and seems to have recentlycome through a round of internal laying/related issue where I was sure I was going to lose her. Her comb and wattles are pale due to the illness and molting but I swear they look smaller, too! Is this possible? I'll have to post some before and after pictures...

Last edited:
A normal chicken with no health problems can have their comb and wattles turn pale and shrink. It happens when they aren't laying, usually due to going broody, molting or during the short days of winter. When they get ready to lay again, their comb and wattles will get larger and turn red again. Just like when they were pullets getting ready to lay for the first time.

Does she seem to be acting normally and feeling fine?

Quote:
This answers some questions I had about one of our Buff's that has stopped laying for 2 weeks, she is only 33 weeks and went through 2 doses of wormer then stopped laying and her wattles and comb went pale and shrank almost in half, but she eats, drinks and poops just fine and free ranges just as she did before she stopped. I guess she was taking some needed time off then?

Quote:
Thanks, WoodlandWoman. Yes, other than recovering from the laying issue she's herself. None of my other girls' combs did this when they molted or went broody, and it's funny that it's happening now since she hasn't laid (externally, anyway) since Feb. Maybe she's found the Fountain of Youth somewhere on our property!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom