Can DE and Ivermectin be used together?

nikkinewlin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I ordered some ivermectin to treat the mites I have living in my coop and on my chickens. The delivery could not be made on time due to crappy weather conditions so I went ahead and dusted them all with DE yesterday. I also dusted there coop with wood ash and DE. I got the Ivermectin in the mail today.... So my question is can I treat with ivermectin today even though I just dusted them all with de yesterday? the mites are still on my birds. One of them can not open their eyes because the mites are so bad. I gave him a bath two days ago using Dawn dish soap, and flushed his eyes out with diluted boric acid and applied Neosporin to his eyes. I also dusted him yesterday. And his eyes are stuck shut again today, and covered in mites. :/

Its funny, because I went to the feed store to get sevin dust, and the people helping me find is asked me what I was using it for. I told them it was for my chickens and the said "NO NO NO NO.... That is toxic... Use DE they said....." Now I spent money on a big bag of dirt that did not help at all :/ I will be treating with ivermectin as soon as I get home from work... And I will also be picking up sevin dust to treat the coop with. Thank you so much for your advice!!

Its funny, because I went to the feed store to get sevin dust, and the people helping me find is asked me what I was using it for. I told them it was for my chickens and the said "NO NO NO NO.... That is toxic... Use DE they said....." Now I spent money on a big bag of dirt that did not help at all :/ I will be treating with ivermectin as soon as I get home from work... And I will also be picking up sevin dust to treat the coop with. Thank you so much for your advice!!
Take the DE back and *insist* that the give you a refund or pay for your vet bills, lol.

-Kathy

FWIW, when mine have the bugs aound the face I very carefully apply a little powder to that area, avoiding the eyes, of course.

-Kathy

You mentioned in your first post that so far, the DE was ineffective. I'd use the sevin dust and ivermectin since it sounds like your dealing with a severe case of mites. Mites suck blood causing anemia, then death. We've used sevin dust since the 60's, still here typing.
Dont forget to dust your coop, nests, roosts and wear a mask. OR, if you have a leaf blower, put a pile of sevin dust at the entrance to the inside of the coop, then hit it full blast with the leaf blower. I guarantee you the dust will get in every crack and corner inside your coop.
If your using ivermectin pour on, put 5 drops on bare skin on the back of the neck for standard sized birds, 3 drops for smaller birds (not chicks.) Repeat this procedure again in 10-14 days. Ivermectin pour on is quickly absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream and should take care of your mite problem on your birds.

I have used the leaf blower technique before when using permitherin powder. I don't know why, but the Permitherin powder did not seem to do the trick. I re-treated the birds and coop ten days after the first permitherin dirt bath/coop coating. Still didn't get the bugs gone. I really hope the sevin dust works! These bugs are driving me and my birds crazy! Thanks again for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom