Can ducks and geese crossbreed???

Ducks and Geese are in the same family of birds, Anatidae, and both have 40 pair of chromosomes, so it is possible for them to produce young.

Quote: Abstract:

A hybrid between a domestic duck (male) and a domestic goose (female) acquired by the Zoological Gardens, Copenhagen superficially resembled a duck, but by a closer examination it was showed that morphologically and ethologically it showed characters of both duck and goose. Although it is a male it has never shown any sexual activity. I therefore tried to activate it by hormone injections. Treatment with gonadotropic hormones and with sexual hormone were both ineffectual. Therefore I conclude that this bird does not have the nervous mechanisms underlying the sexual patterns, because it is known that castrated male birds and young male birds show sexual activity when treated with hormones.

Apparently goose/duck crosses are an extreme rarity, but genetically, it is not impossible.

Inter-species breeding is rather common place, i.e. horses and donkeys are bred to make mules. More exotic examples are lions and tigers makers Ligers and Tigons.

What biologists consider two different "species" does not always mean they can't interbreed due to a genetic limitation. Sometimes animals are classified as different species even though they are inter-fertile. In the wild they either choose not to interbreed or are physically prevented from breeding through geography, lifestyle, or size difference. There are many species of beetles that are gentically compatible, but physically their genetalia do not fit each other, so they cannot breed naturally and are considered different species. It's fascinating.

I also have a goose duck pair but my goose is the male my duck the female. He has almost drowned her a few times in the pond and in the shallow wading pool we have I jumped into the pond to break them up the first time I though he was going to drown her. He is to big and it really looks like he is going to drown her. Can he drown her should I keep the separate? I have 3 female geese why is he not interested in any of them.

I also have a goose duck pair but my goose is the male my duck the female. He has almost drowned her a few times in the pond and in the shallow wading pool we have I jumped into the pond to break them up the first time I though he was going to drown her. He is to big and it really looks like he is going to drown her. Can he drown her should I keep the separate? I have 3 female geese why is he not interested in any of them.
Were they raised together? or were all of them raised together? My Embden gander was hatched by a Muscovy duck and they were inseparable for over 6 yrs till last Aug when I got another goose and a mate for him. He finally accepted her in Jan after mating season started. He still loves his duck mama/mate too though. But is bonded with the goose, you may have to remove the duck do you have other ducks for her to hang with? I actually separated Mama duck/mate from my gander for about 3 months so my 2 geese would bond.

Were they raised together? or were all of them raised together? My Embden gander was hatched by a Muscovy duck and they were inseparable for over 6 yrs till last Aug when I got another goose and a mate for him. He finally accepted her in Jan after mating season started. He still loves his duck mama/mate too though. But is bonded with the goose, you may have to remove the duck do you have other ducks for her to hang with? I actually separated Mama duck/mate from my gander for about 3 months so my 2 geese would bond.
I call my duck mama too. No all my male ducks have died I am starting to wonder if the gander has something to do with it. Or just the breed not able to tolerate the geese I have a rouen and she is bigger and can handle a peck here and there at the food dish she actually gives it right back. I am looking into getting a few ducks not just one male which does not seem to be working. I got 2 rouen ducks male and female in march and my china geese male and female in may. they started to live together in early june when the geese could stay outside in pen. I lost both of my males to a fox. So I went out to replace them ended up with 3 ducks 2 male 1 female 2 males where not rouens and 5 geese 3 African 1 china and one unknown. then my 2 male ducks died with no explaination no wounds no nothing just stopped eating became very alone not hanging with everyone and died. so the separation could be for a few months while geese bond and ducks bond and then I could let them hang together. problem is only one pond and I cant keep one out unless I keep them caged all day which really seems unfair. I would have to have shifts more work but I want my mama to be safe. and have to build another pen for night. which is fine I was planning on building winter housing for them soon anyways and getting her duck friends to keep warm with.

I call my duck mama too. No all my male ducks have died I am starting to wonder if the gander has something to do with it. Or just the breed not able to tolerate the geese I have a rouen and she is bigger and can handle a peck here and there at the food dish she actually gives it right back. I am looking into getting a few ducks not just one male which does not seem to be working. I got 2 rouen ducks male and female in march and my china geese male and female in may. they started to live together in early june when the geese could stay outside in pen. I lost both of my males to a fox. So I went out to replace them ended up with 3 ducks 2 male 1 female 2 males where not rouens and 5 geese 3 African 1 china and one unknown. then my 2 male ducks died with no explaination no wounds no nothing just stopped eating became very alone not hanging with everyone and died. so the separation could be for a few months while geese bond and ducks bond and then I could let them hang together. problem is only one pond and I cant keep one out unless I keep them caged all day which really seems unfair. I would have to have shifts more work but I want my mama to be safe. and have to build another pen for night. which is fine I was planning on building winter housing for them soon anyways and getting her duck friends to keep warm with.
If you can pen your ducks separately from your geese, just give them a large kiddy swimming pool till the geese have bonded, Depending on what part of the country your in mating season for geese can start as early as Dec. here in the Mts of NC it started in Jan this year. so I'm thinking once mating season starts for your geese he will be very interested in them as long as mama isn't around. I tell you what my goose was literally throwing herself on my gander so he won't have any problem getting involved with them.
big_smile.png

If you can pen your ducks separately from your geese, just give them a large kiddy swimming pool till the geese have bonded, Depending on what part of the country your in mating season for geese can start as early as Dec. here in the Mts of NC it started in Jan this year. so I'm thinking once mating season starts for your geese he will be very interested in them as long as mama isn't around. I tell you what my goose was literally throwing herself on my gander so he won't have any problem getting involved with them.
big_smile.png
Sounds good now to find some rouens for my mama like to get some bout same age thanks for the info we are in maine not sure what mating season is so I better get a move on

Sounds good now to find some rouens for my mama like to get some bout same age thanks for the info we are in maine not sure what mating season is so I better get a move on
I'll tell Haunted 55 about your post since she lives in Maine she can tell you about mating times there. Be sure to look on BYC's buy sell trade thread also your state thread and craigslist.

I'll tell Haunted 55 about your post since she lives in Maine she can tell you about mating times there. Be sure to look on BYC's buy sell trade thread also your state thread and craigslist.
I had my geese start into their first mating sometime around Jan./Feb., then again in April/May and now they seem to be getting into it again, or at least the challenging and fighting between the ganders. I guess, they can mate when ever they want to, lol. I am not sure my results are normal but this is how it seems to be working for me. I had been told normal is sometime in the very early Spring and then possible again in the Fall, but this wasn't assured. Ducks....they seem to be ever ready. My Pekins, only seem to take a short break in December. Maybe a week or two, the Mallards seem to be more true to season and start mating in the Spring, early Summer up to the first part of August. They are all done now and the males have lost or almost, all of their wedding plummage. Appleyards and KCs are still going strong as are my Muscovys.

One thing to add, be careful of the ducks. I have lost one to over zealous attention from a couple of drakes. It wasn't pretty and will haunt me forever. I also have a gander who is madly in love with one of my SAs and is way too big for her even though she is a good sized duck. I ride 'herd' on mine as much as possible and still have near misses. I agree with Miss Lydia about separating them out as best you can. It could save you a lot of heartbreak later.

Ok so I have my new drake and him and mama are already mating! They are separated at night when I put them in and during the day they all seem to get along ok in the pond the gander does try to break up the mating sometimes but gives up. she is hanging with. her new pal more then the geese think this will work thanks for all the good advice. just wondering now will my mama duck start to lay eggs now that she he's started mating?

Back
Top Bottom