Can ducks and geese crossbreed???

My geese hate it when the ducks mate and will break up most of them except my dominant drake when he is mating they stand back and holler but won't interfere. Glad to hear you got a drake for your duck, hopefully your gander will now turn to the geese. keep us updated and hoping you get eggs soon
fl.gif
keep a close eye on the boys, I had to separate my gander from one of my drakes at one time they use to get into some dozy of fights.

Last edited:
[/IMG]
Well they seem to be getting along ok. some jabs Here and there from geese but down at the pond ducks seem ti be faster and be able to get away. they are separated at night in different pens. also mama seems to be protecting him more if the geese start to go after him and yells at them. quite funny. now trying to get him to eat out of my hand! He is still shy. everyone else does I am sure he will come around

Last edited:
[/URL]
Well they seem to be getting along ok. some jabs Here and there from geese but down at the pond ducks seem ti be faster and be able to get away. they are separated at night in different pens. also mama seems to be protecting him more if the geese start to go after him and yells at them. quite funny. now trying to get him to eat out of my hand! He is still shy. everyone else does I am sure he will come around
What a nice place for water fowl, sounds like things are working out too that's great.

Ok so now since I have had them separated mama duck has a nest in her dog house and she has got 4 eggs as of yesterday
wee.gif
so excited I am hoping she will sit. its her first batch she started laying on Thursday. When should I take out the eggs and throw in the bator if she does not sit? Her nest seems to be getting bigger like she is working on it everyday the sides get taller. I gave her some more straw yesterday so she could keep going. the geese however still just noisy little buggers no mating but you all told me not till January. But they have become two separate herds. they will hang out together sometimes but the ducks will go off on their own now down to the pond and the geese will just lay in the grass and go when they want. The separate living quarters worked!!!! thanks so much for all your help.

Hi there!
Oh my Gosh! Yes it is possible! I NEVER would have believed it until I had TWO goose/duck babies hatch 2 days ago! I am STILL in shock. My husband and I had a big debate for this.. And of course, hubby wins again! =( Again I would have NEVER believed this until I saw it for my own eyes! My gander died about a year ago and I have been searching for a Toulouse gander since then because I wanted to keep my geese purebred, although it's not a MUST, but my ladies really needed and missed their hubby, well my duck just kind of took them in and he was always the follower, never the leader and I was actually sure he was a female, but obviously not. She started laying on eggs and he started protecting her and I thought those eggs would never hatch, it was impossible because they are different species, but I have two baby goose ducks in my barn as living proof.

I saw this ad looking up if anyone else had this happen.. I actually couldn't find anything, but saw this and just thought i'd let you know..
I can't help but wonder what they will look like when they are older???? haha! What would you call them? Doose? Guck?? LOL I sound like my 1 year old!

Is it possible that a Canada good could have bred her ? Or that one of you geese is actually a gander becuase scientifically those babies would have formed and died or have never developed.

This is the first duck/goose mating I have seen in 9 years living on a lake. Unlike the male duck, the male goose takes charge of the family - fifteen kids plus mom who is also cross-bred.

Back
Top Bottom