Can ducks climb hills?

crazylilchick

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Missouri
I am wanting to get a few medium weight ducks and we have a shared 1 1/2 acre pond. All the neighbors property slopes at about a 45 degree angle (totally guessing , but its steep)to the pond except for ours. We have a more gentle slope and live closest to the water. Can ducks walk up a steep hill? Will they stay on our side of the pond? The other property is like, grab hold of a tree to help you climb up the hill but ours is a small slope. What do you think? Ducks don't really look like they are built for climbing to me. Oh ya, the hill side is very wooded and our side is cleared and grassy. Will they stay on our side?

Hmmm.....why did the duck cross the road........? I think they will stay where they feel safe and fed. They can climb though-they flap their way up! Ours even do stairs. I would always feed them in the same spot. Good Luck!

You might consider Muscovy ducks. Raised as ducklings they will stay home when grown. They have under developed oil glands so they get water logged if they spend too much time in the water. (Won't spoil your pond water.) The can fly but won't fly away so they won't have any problem getting up your hill. They roost in trees or just sit on the ground to sleep. They have personality and will remind their owner of a feathered dog as they wag their tail and will follow you everywhere occassionally.

Runner ducks could also be a consideration.
smile.png

Quote:
We had a 2 month drought last summer that dropped my pond level 2 feet. That was too much for my pekin to fly up onto (the rouens and runners had no trouble flying up that far.) so I put in a board ramp for the big white guy. Otherwise they had no trouble with the slight slope. I'm guessing yours will stick around your side of the pond.

Back
Top Bottom