Can EE change egg color?

poseygrace

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Georgia
I have a 20 week old EE that I THOUGHT started laying last week. I noticed her going in and out of the nest box so I thought it was her. The eggs were a light pinkish brown. I was a little disappointed that the eggs weren't blue, but I knew they could be pink hued, too. Well today I found a beautiful turquoise egg in the box! So I was wondering if maybe another pullet was laying the pinkish brown ones, or if my EE changed colors? I only have one EE, the rest are known light brown egg layers (Wyandottes, BO, Buckeye, Cochins). I know it doesn't matter AT ALL but I am just so curious! Thanks!

They'll test out the nest box for size a few days before they actually start to lay.
I get excited when young ones sit in the nest only to find an empty nest. But at least at that point you know they're close.

No egg color does not change-ever--The brightness may change in the laying season-Like a dark egg layer may lay super dark eggs in the beginning and the darkness fades until Molt. After molting the color returns then begins it's slow fading pattern:) Your EE laid you that present!

Last edited:
*Egg color stays the same throughout the hen's laying life. No kaleidoscope colored egg laying chickens (yet!)

*The intensity of the color will fade as the hen ages.

Wow! Thanks for the great replies. I guess I have another sneaky girl making the pink eggs. WOO HOO! I am just so excited to be getting eggs....

Congratulations on getting your first eggs--

Interesting post.

I have some slight variation in the colors of my pullet's eggs. One had actual light spots on her egg for the first egg I think (ok only a couple tiny pigment spots) It made me think she had some Welsumer in her ancestry--but it was only that one egg. Then the light pinkish bown does vary a little bit -- from a little lighter to a little browner. It is interesting and very subtle. I think that the pullets are getting their egg laying mechanism squared away. They have been laying for only about 1-month. But the brown to blue would be quite a leap.

Back
Top Bottom