Can Employer Do This?

She needs to take the checks to the bank they were issued from- not a check cashing place. If the employer stopped payment they had to pay a fee for each check- and I think it would be illegal to stop payment on a payroll check. Unless they proved she was guilty of theft of something- which is not the case.

Call the Bank the Checks are drawn on, they will tell her if the checks are valid and if there is money in the account. She will then need to go to the bank or open another bank account asap, but opening a new account they will likely put a hold on those checks. If she can drive to the bank they are drawn on it would be worth it, even if it costs a few bucks worth of gas.

Shoot, we have one of those posters hanging in our kitchen at work... I checked and here was the info I found -

In Virginia, I would contact the Virginia Workers Compensation Commission at 804-367-8600.

The US Department of Labor might also be able to help - especially OSHA.... 800-321-OSHA

And I also found this number: 866-487-9243

I hope this helps!

Well she went to the bank but needs her drivers license, which she mia
roll.png

I dont know what she plans to do.

I second calling the labor board. My license is MIA too. I have to go to DMV today to get a new one...
he.gif
Anymore these days, you are stranded completely without a driver's license. If there is some "administrative issues" regarding her license, tell her to go get a state ID and she can use that for just about anything the same as a DL except to rent a car.

It's darn early here but:

No, if the checks are less than 90 days old they must be valid. It's the state labor board she should be calling. Also take ths checks to the bank the account is drawn from, and attempt to cash them. (2 forms of ID are standard, her liscense and a charge card work fine). If the checks are bum, the labor board will happily investigate and fine them up the hew-haw for this. (And if not already, she can file unemployment for leaving a job with a "hostile atmosphere" Have her explain "unsafe working conditions" and the current check mess.

It won't help her pay her insurance today but she needs to go to the dept of labor to GET HER MONEY. They can NOT get away with not paying her.They just can't. If they try to get out of it they WILL be held to account.She has the law in her side.Keep the checks IN HER POSSESION unless she gets the money , they are the proof.

Back
Top Bottom