Can ESA override city ordinance?

A little shocked over your response....let me explain my reason for asking about the ESA. My granddaughter has had emotional problems since about the age of 13. Anxiety, depression ,all of that.She was on medications, doing counseling, had a part-time job ect etc.
Then about a year ago everything fell apart for her. She quit taking her meds, quit counseling, Covid stopped her job and she just sat in her room and did nothing. Never went out...Nothing we said or did mattered.
When I found Pepper I had no idea that he was even a male.He was about 4-5 weeks old.
My granddaughter took him in her room and babied him. He even slept with her, tucked under her chin.
We had nothing for a chicken and we started to put some things together. During this time my GD started coming out of her shell and in the past few months since hes been here she has spent hours sitting with him, holding him, petting him. About 3 weeks ago she started making calls to make appointments with her doctors and getting started back on her meds. Her room is actually clean and she gets up early so she cam spend time with this little guy.
I had NO idea that roosters aren't allowed because they are ALL OVER THE CITY!!! Because someone reported me is the reason Im supposed to rehome him. None of my neighbors called because Ive asked them because I want to be a good neighbor!!
My granddaughter has changed SO MUCH in the time this bird showed up and she is devestated that we may have to give him up. If having him as an ESA animal will help her to stay on this wonderful path she's on from the emotional and mental problems she's having I will try to help her. But if having to give up the one thing that gets her out of bed with a smile every day is this little rooster than I have to try.
I can't bribe her counselor to write a false story!! If he doesn't feel Pepper has made an extraordinary change to her life he will say so. Im trying to do what I can to keep my GD well.
It was just a question!! If this will allow us to keep him I have to try. I didnt write about how he's helped her because she's an adult and didn't want her private business all over. And Im NOT trying this to be fraudulent!!!
And just because I live in California doesn't mean anything!! I don't like how things are right now either!! Too many people being rude to others the list is endless.

My rooster Pepper and I were reported to DAC last week by someone because of our citys supposed " no roosters" clause. There are roosters and chickens ALL OVER this town but I no one reported them.
If we keep him with a ESA letter from my granddaughters mental health counselor will that override that city ordinance? I own my home.
The DAC officer said they don't drive around listening for roosters. Someone sent a screenshot of an open letter I wrote to my 3 backyard neighbors to DAC. It's my fault for trying to be a good and considerate neighbor.
So far one of those 3 neighbors that I was worried about has said Peppers crowing doesn't bother him. 1 down 2 to go.
I would contact the ADA!!! She CLEARLY is DISABLED. An ADA SERVICE ANIMAL doesn't necessarily have to be a dog! ADA.GOV. DO NOT CONTINUE using the current physician. Use a different one AND have her get a psychological evaluation by a licensed psychologist! ADA Americans with Disability Act. Local officials MUST ABIDE BY ADA GUIDELINES. I would also go to your CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS and claim her as an American with a Disability!

The fact that others have chickens and or roosters is irrelevant. YOU are the one who has been caught. Other people roll stop signs, speed, and drive drunk all the time too - doesn't provide a defense when you get caught doing it. Zoning is the same way.

Fact is, ESA Abuse is percieved to be widespread. That's the reality. Fact is, you were caught first, and now seek an exception after the fact. That's the reality. Fact is, you want an exception to a generally applicable law based on a piece of legislation which allows self-certification, and as such, receives little respect in the law. Certainly less than objectors claiming First Amendment protections for religious liberty, another place of self-certification. That's the reality.

You will have to overcome all those issues to be successful, and unlike the ADA, ESA doesn't have much "teeth". If you weren't in CA, you'd have almost no chance at all. ...and even there, they worry enough about ESA Abuse to have recently passed legislation seeking to curtail it.

The only things in your favor (apart from the fact that CA will even consider it) is that your granddaughter was previously in treatment - so you aren't appearing with a letter from any of the myriad Internet sites dated after the infraction, and that litigation in your state is so expensive and onerous that its not worth it to most defendants to do more than propound discovery and go thru the motions while seeking to settle.

The Law, it is said, "is an @$$". [with apologies to the BYC Moderators, its a quote approximately 500 years old, which I have tried to render somewhat less offensive to the very sheltered.] In the eyes of the law, your feelings, and what your neighbors may or may not be doing, are irrelevant. If you want to win your claim, you need to focus on what the law DOES care about and how you can use the legal process to make it a fight the municipality wants to settle guickly and quietly. In the words of Sun Tzu, "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war."

You now have the benefit of my opinion and experience, which, together with $5, might buy you a short coffee at Starbucks. Worth more than an apology, which I won't be offering. Focus on your feelings of hurt, of being singled out, your sense of moral "rightness" and you greatly increase your chances at losing this fight. The LAW does not care. I don't care about those things either, but cared enough to offer a useful guide for proceeding and an overview of the landscape in which you will fight.

As it is unwelcome, I'll be getting a real coffee, and stepping off this thread. Good day to you, madam.

:caf
Wow, you are a very angry little person. Good luck with that in life and good luck storming that castle.

Wow you’re still angling to get your rooster registered as an ESA? I feel zero sympathy for you because you illegally own a rooster, and now you’re trying to manipulate the system to sidestep the law. I just don’t understand why you think you’re above having to follow the law. I would be more sympathetic had you attempted to register your rooster as an ESA prior to someone having filed a noise complaint against you, but you didn’t; it wasn’t until after the complaint, and after you were forced to remove the rooster, that you’re now trying to file the ESA. Do you even have any kind of mental health or emotional disabilities, or is registering the rooster as an ESA a ploy to circumvent the system?

It is people like you, abusing the system, who make it harder for others who need special privileges. Roosters are incredibly loud animals to have within city limits, and residential areas. Your neighbors aren’t in the wrong. You are in the wrong.
We rehomed Pepper over a year ago. We are NOT still trying to get an ESA. He was much loved and when we found him as a 4 week old chick, in some bushes in our yard we had NO IDEA he was a male. By the time all this happened we had fallen in love with him and were grasping at anyway we might be able to keep him. We realized , even though my granddaughter does have emotional and mental issues, that it was better to find him a suitable new home.
Maybe if you had read what happened last year and my response to the gal who responded a couple days ago before you accused me of things Im not doing you wouldn't have gotten your panties in a bunch.

I would contact the ADA!!! She CLEARLY is DISABLED. An ADA SERVICE ANIMAL doesn't necessarily have to be a dog! ADA.GOV. DO NOT CONTINUE using the current physician. Use a different one AND have her get a psychological evaluation by a licensed psychologist! ADA Americans with Disability Act. Local officials MUST ABIDE BY ADA GUIDELINES. I would also go to your CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS and claim her as an American with a Disability!
Thank you for the support but this is an OLD post from a year ago and although it was a thought to do an ESA we decided against it and put Pepper and his BFF Rosie in a sanctuary.

Back
Top Bottom