Plantation, FL Ordinance Change Thread

CoupDuke

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
Good morning, afternoon, and evening!

I'm new to the site and have a generational interest in raising chickens of different stripes. I own land in Plantation and was considering raising a small flock for eggs and companionship, but a friend informed me that we aren't able to raise chickens outside of certain zoning. I've confirmed this with someone who lives near my property who had rescued a rooster and kept him as a pet. Someone called code enforcement because the rooster wandered into that someone's backyard, and the rooster's owner was ordered by code enforcement to rehome her rescued rooster. (She tried challenging it and ended up with a fine of over $2000).

I've contacted city hall and spoken with the city planner to confirm where chickens are and are not allowed within city limits. He said owning chickens is restricted to RS-1EP zones, which are mostly in the western, more rural part of the city where there are larger estates.

A current zoning map of the city can be found here: https://www.plantation.org/home/showpublisheddocument/3487

I looked into Plantation city ordinances, but I didn't find anything specifically forbidding keeping barnyard fowl in residential areas that aren't RS-1EP zones. However, there are also no clauses explicitly allowing them. I did find regulations for keeping barnyard fowl in the RS-1EP zones which can be found here: https://library.municode.com/fl/pla...d=PTIICOOR_CH27LADERE_ARTVIUSRE_S27-105SPUSRE

Again, the part I assume city officials turn to for this doesn't state that keeping barnyard fowl is prohibited in other areas, but that it's allowed in the RS-1EP areas. It's in articles VI section 27-105.a.d.1 and, possibly, Article XI section 27-296. Here's the text:

VI.27-105.a.d.1
Agricultural Activities, Farm Animals and Food Production.
(1)Urban farm activities. Urban farm activities refer to small scale agricultural activities, farm animals and food production uses that may be permitted as accessory use in the RS-1EP district subject to the requirements and limitations noted below.a.Harboring of poultry and fowl (for non-commercial purposes only).1.The number of poultry or fowl may not exceed twenty-five (25) in total number.2.Any pen or roofed structure for the shelter of such animals shall be located at least fifty (50) feet from any lot line.
3.When located within Sub-Area "B" of the Plantation Acres SPI-1 Overlay district on parcels equal to or exceeding 100,000 square feet in net plot area, the limitation on the number of poultry or fowl set forth under a.1. above may be exceeded when approved as a conditional use. Expansion from these number limits shall be in harmony with the rural character of the Acres, its floodplain function and its protection against intense development.

XI.27-296.k
Domestic pet shelters. One pet shelter or pen for domestic household animals shall be permitted in any residential district, subject to the following:
(1)No pet shelter or pen shall be permitted within the required front yard area, or within utility, drainage or access easements.
(2)The structure must be set back at least six feet from the side and rear lot lines.
(3)No more than a total of three dogs or other common domestic household animals over six months of age shall be permitted on any residential lot except within the Plantation Acres RS-1EP zoning district. Within the RS-1EP zoning district, domestic animals may exceed these limitations subject to Section 27-105(d) regulating "Agricultural Activities, Farm Animals and Food Production."(4)The maximum size of any domestic pet shelter shall not exceed 15 square feet in area. Any structure in excess of 15 square feet shall be restricted to the Planation Acres RS-1EP zoning district and subject to the limitations for farm animals.(5)Domestic pet shelters and pens shall be maintained in a clean and neat manner consistent with the City Code.

I've looked into ordinances in Davie and Cooper City which are just next door to Plantation, and they seem to be more lenient on chicken ownership in general residential areas. I've considered contacting their city officials for info on how their ordinances have worked out, but I'm not sure where to go from there. When I contact their city officials, what exactly am I looking for? Also, how would I adapt their ordinances to Plantation's code?

Also, I've seen other threads on these boards about Plantation's ordinances and the desire to keep chickens in Plantation, and I would like to try and get something off the ground to change the ordinances. Locals have expressed interest, but this needs more than a few neighbors. I'd also like to get more info on chickens (pros of keeping them, responding to common misconceptions, etc.) and possibly obtain letters to city officials and get a petition going. Any local support and tips on it is appreciated.

Thanks!

[To the mods: I checked posting rules before posting again to make sure double-posting is not taboo. I didn't see anything against it, but if I'm breaking any rules with an update like this, I apologize: please correct me.]

UPDATE:
I spoke with the city clerk who was very supportive of the cause for legalizing chickens outside of the RS-1EP zones! She advised that I present to city council during a council meeting. The next meeting is this Wednesday at 6 PM, and I plan to present during citizen's input time. Anyone wanting to support the cause is encouraged to attend.

Here's a link to the city council page: https://www.plantation.org/government/city-council

I'll post back here with aftermath info.

UPDATE: I received a call from the city planner yesterday requesting more information on the info I presented at the town hall meeting. He said he didn't see dissent or vexation on the faces of the city council members nor the mayor, so things are looking to go in a positive direction.

Will post back with any new info when it comes.

UPDATE: I received a call from the city planner yesterday requesting more information on the info I presented at the town hall meeting. He said he didn't see dissent or vexation on the faces of the city council members nor the mayor, so things are looking to go in a positive direction.

Will post back with any new info when it comes.
Interested in seeing an update when available.
Thank you,

a long time ago far far away in another galaxy I fought a similar fight for a different cause. It took 2 years but got ordnances changed and the process worked. Now it did not hurt in my case I passed out flyers and blanketed City hall with 200 folks at the first meeting ensuring our agenda items got addressed and in the end the city was not bad to deal with at all. it all worked out and I applaud what you are doing for the residents of Plantation.

No real small lots in the city so you should be good there. My suggestion is to get some good ordancance examples from municode dot com for your meetings - make it easy on them to help them write the code - such as:

• Sec. 21-69. - Animal limitations.

SHARE LINK TO SECTIONPRINT SECTIONDOWNLOAD (DOCX) OF SECTIONSEMAIL SECTIONCOMPARE VERSIONS
    (a)
    It shall be unlawful for any person owning or having custody or control of any livestock, bird, or other fowl to permit or allow such fowl or livestock to run or be at large in the City.
    (b)
    No household shall keep or maintain more than four (4) dogs or cats aged six (6) months or older in connection with any residential dwelling unit.
    (c)
    No business shall keep or maintain more than two (2) dogs in connection with any building used for commercial or industrial purposes, other than at the office of a veterinarian, in a kennel, at a pet motel, at the Humane Society or in similar facilities established and permitted for such use.
    (d)
    No household or business shall breed or maintain any wild animal or poisonous reptile that poses a threat to human safety. Excluded from this restriction are animal shelters, medical or scientific facilities, pet shops, zoos or other locations where the showing or maintenance of such animals is a permitted use under the provisions of this Code.
    (e)
    Chickens as an accessory use shall be permitted in all zoning districts and the following standards shall apply to all zoning districts except the Agriculture (AG) zoning district:
    (1)
    Chickens are limited to hens only (no roosters allowed).
    (2)
    One chicken per 1,000 square feet of parcel/lot area with a maximum of 5 permitted.
    (3)
    A chicken coop must be present on the property in order to keep chickens.
    (4)
    Chicken coops shall adhere to the accessory structure setbacks for the zoning district which it is located in.
    (5)
    Chicken coops shall be a maximum of 125 square feet in area.
    (6)
    Chicken coops shall be a maximum of 6 feet in height.
    (Ord. No. O-00-09, Art. 2 (2.03.09), 4-24-00; Ord. No. O-21-06 , § 1(Exh. A), 2-22-21)

Back
Top Bottom