Changing City Ordinance to be more Restrictive

I live in Tigard, OR and the poultry/livestock city codes went from "No limit on birds & roosters ok, but they must be housed and kept at least 100' from neighboring houses at all times. No livestock." to having no restrictions at all, all poultry/livestock ok about two years ago.

We are in an older neighborhood on a large corner lot (for the city, about 1/4 acre?) When we kept chickens about 7/8 years ago we had one neighbor that loved them and bought eggs initially, but as soon as we had a disagreement about how we were replacing our fence that is along our shared property line (chainlink to match all our other fences vs expensive cedar, good neighbor fence) a light switched and he has been coming after us ever since for whatever he can. He stopped for a couple years after we had our attorney send a case and desist because he was photographing and video taping our kids every time they were outside. Our entire flock died, one or two at a time, with no prior signs of illness and no evidence of a predator, within about a month of that. We suspected he may have been tossing poison over the fence, but had no proof.

We started a new flock two years ago. He has been back at his favorite retirement activity, filing complaint after complaint with the city. We are not in violation of any city codes per the code compliance officer. He has now taken it to the City Council and Mayor. He is apparently being put on a citizen board to review and possibly change the current ordinance (I am waiting to hear back from the Mayor for confirmation on this.)

Have you been anywhere they went backwards with the ordinances? Do you have links to studies on the benefits of urban homesteading and the keeping of poultry/livestock within the city? Tips on how I can keep our current city codes? Even if we are grandfathered in, I do not want the codes to change and go backwards!

We have two rabbits, two Nigerian Dwarf goats, chickens, ducks and quail. Living on a large corner, we have several people stop by and watch the animals. I have already had at least ten people send in support letters discussing why they enjoy our little urban homestead (this includes some other neighbors.) I have submitted public comment and will be speaking at the next council meeting.

*His current complaint is rats and it being a public safety issue. He is saying our yard is a breeding ground for rats and bugs. The code compliance officer came out last week and said he saw no such evidence and that we were doing more than enough as prevention goes. Our coop/run is surrounded on all sides (ground included) with 1/4" hardware cloth. We do not leave any food out and instead offer a few scoops twice a day, an amount they clean up in under ten minutes (they free range also.) We limit water sources. We have our own traps out and also work with a pest control company to set out bait boxes. The coop is clean and the code compliance officer reported there is no smell.
Most people have issues in the city with neighbors if they can see your hens. Hens should always be behind 6 feet privacy fencing. Here in Texas, almost all the homes have cedar, pine 6 feet fencing. As long as they can be seen, they are open to complaint and even theft. I could not imagine having a backyard with no privacy.

Did you ever just bring him a dozen eggs? Love overcomes many things. If he has children, or grandchildren, invite them to come over and see the chickens, and let them gather some eggs too....works like a charm! You can also just approach him and say you want to work things out and ask him for his help. You may be surprised how he reacts to genuine kindness, so forgive him in your heart and go talk to him. Be sure to not bring up any accusations, just move forward and listen to him.

Jay
I have a neighbor who is suing us over our roosters. I did try to give him some eggs. Tried to compromise but he wants all my roosters gone. I raise chickens myself and my grandkids love helping. I even tried being nicer. But he used multiple profanities in front of my grandkids and called me ugly names. The town, two police officers, the fire marshal who investigated and found no violations and the animal control officer told him to deal or move. Now I’m facing a costly lawsuit. Daughter is setting up a go fund me page. He has caused problems with all his neighbors. He wants it his way only. He even doused a neighbors grill cause he didn’t like the smell. He is a bully. He also is an English teacher.

I have a neighbor who is suing us over our roosters. I did try to give him some eggs. Tried to compromise but he wants all my roosters gone. I raise chickens myself and my grandkids love helping. I even tried being nicer. But he used multiple profanities in front of my grandkids and called me ugly names. The town, two police officers, the fire marshal who investigated and found no violations and the animal control officer told him to deal or move. Now I’m facing a costly lawsuit. Daughter is setting up a go fund me page. He has caused problems with all his neighbors. He wants it his way only. He even doused a neighbors grill cause he didn’t like the smell. He is a bully. He also is an English teacher.
Oh and he is over 200 feet away with woods in between.

had a neighbor like this growing up. We had to put up no trespassing signs (it’s only illegal if you have signs up) and got him on that. I wonder amid you can file harassment charges against him. He sounds unhinged

Back
Top Bottom