Seattle Rooster ban help

My roo was collected by his breeder and taken to their farm where they have several other roosters. I'm sure I'll have another at some point, hopefully one that will not attack me. I'm still nursing the gash in my left calf almost a month later. No fun.
Sorry to jump topic I’m on a roll here —When it comes to this rooster noise being handled as a noise complaint, I am seeing on the city noise complaint site stating a bulleted list of what makes it unlawful. One of the bullets is from 10pm-7 am and 11-7 am lol.
Does this mean that is when the noise needs to happen for it to be “illegal” and I can get fined?

I got a little discouraged last night because I realized we did technically get an official complaint. But we also got a neighbor letter that was kindly written. That said I just hate seeing our name in the system as it’s just that much closer to something dreadful happening. I have this sense of impending doom— probably bc I just love the Roo so dang much! And he is
Totallllly a good boy for a rooster. While I do not discount the annoyance it causes the neighbors, when we have a rooster ban it almost seems to give others this sense of entitlement when it comes to making a complaint. Like I’m not sure if it is that intolerable to them— or if they are complaining because they kno roosters are banned (and probably think this means they are illegal).
I need to write to them like asap. That’s my first step. Aiming for this week. I need to make it clear to them I care and do not want to disturb them, but like they need to be reasonable as well right. Heck we have neighbors that blast reggaeton all afternoon for over an hour 😂 maybe not everyday but. Ya kno.
I wish there was better information on this.
U have helped immensely though.
Hopefully someone else can share with me their experience of what exactly happened
Seems not many people feel the life of a
Their roo is worth the trouble
I am just a true crazy chicken lady :)

I’ve wrestled with this issue and I’m in the Seattle area. I’ve explored all sorts of things, trying to convince neighbors that incessant crowing at 4:30 AM next to their house really isn’t a big issue, the use of a black out “rooster closet” to reduce early morning crowing, crow collars, I’ve even reached out to vets to explore decrowing surgery. I eventually gave up, concluding that there simply is no practical way to have a rooster in the city and burbs where the houses are crammed so close together. I’d go a step further and suggest that pushing this issue could backfire badly. If there is success in pushing the issue that not allowing roosters is somehow inhumane, it could lead to the banning of backyard chickens altogether, and frankly, I’ve been around in the activist world long enough to know that this could actually be the long game of some well meaning animal rights activists who are actually against caging animals as livestock altogether.

Allowing a rooster per household would barely have any effect on the huge number of roosters that are put down, one for every hen. You’d still have 5-7 roosters offed per backyard city flock.

I see a couple of possible solutions that I don’t hear being promoted by those who care a lot about animal rights and it surprises me. New technology is coming down the line that detects male hormones in the egg before it’s even incubated, allowing for the diversion of otherwise perfectly good eggs to the food stream. This would reduce waste and reduce suffering, a win win! Of course this is not attractive to those who believe we just shouldn’t eat any animal products, but I think it would be a huge step in the direction of reducing needless suffering.

The other option that I don’t hear talked about for folks who are willing to do the work would be to keep the rooster inside the home, where the noise would only effect the home occupants, there is no restriction that I am aware of of keeping birds indoors. The rooster could be allowed to join the flock of hens during the day for coital visits to fertilize eggs, and this would only be restricted to the extent that someone complains… you’d need to be on good terms with the neighbors, finding some agreement on what time of day the noise is tolerable. Don’t kid yourself, in the quiet of the early morning a rooster’s crow pierces the walls of all the surrounding homes, and it happens over and over again, getting earlier and therefore relatively louder as we approach solstice. My attempt at a rooster revealed that the earliest crowing in june began very very early and it was loud, audible throughout the neighborhood.

The other aspect, a solution of sorts, for those wanting to grow chickens for meat, hens and roosters, is to grow out Cornish cross. They become harvest weight before the roosters begin to crow, meaning no need to have only females. I was actually told by a city official that keeping meat birds beyond the 6 adults here was permitted as long as they are harvested before 6 months… the limit of 6 only applies to 6 adults. Fortunately CX roosters are good for meat, unlike many other breeds of chickens.

As far as any argument that it’s unnatural to have only hens in the city, I’d say pretty much nothing about the modern chicken is natural. Natural would be leaving the species to the tropical wilds of Asia where predation that kept the population in balance, resulted in most of the chicks that hatch getting eaten by a predator before they reach reproductive age. Nature does not show favor of one species over another, it’s an interconnected, interdependent web of Evolution driven by birth, struggle, selection pressure and the checks and balances of predation.

Last edited:
As far as any argument that it’s unnatural to have only hens in the city, I’d say pretty much nothing about the modern chicken is natural. Natural would be leaving the species to the tropical wilds of Asia where predation that kept the population in balance, resulted in most of the chicks that hatch getting eaten by a predator before they reach reproductive age.
Indeed! This would have kept rooster numbers in check given the mature roos, defending their harems, would have also been the first to their last suppers, leaving the cockerels to take their place.

I got a little discouraged last night because I realized we did technically get an official complaint. But we also got a neighbor letter that was kindly written. That said I just hate seeing our name in the system as it’s just that much closer to something dreadful happening. I have this sense of impending doom— probably bc I just love the Roo so dang much! And he is
Totallllly a good boy for a rooster. While I do not discount the annoyance it causes the neighbors, when we have a rooster ban it almost seems to give others this sense of entitlement when it comes to making a complaint. Like I’m not sure if it is that intolerable to them— or if they are complaining because they kno roosters are banned (and probably think this means they are illegal).
I need to write to them like asap. That’s my first step. Aiming for this week. I need to make it clear to them I care and do not want to disturb them, but like they need to be reasonable as well right. Heck we have neighbors that blast reggaeton all afternoon for over an hour 😂 maybe not everyday but. Ya kno.
Hopefully someone else can share with me their experience of what exactly happened
Watch that video I posted. It's not a long video, around 10mins, but a lot of law info is given. This info applies to all legal matters. The man speaking is not a lawyer by trade. he was being fined by the his city, PA, (I think) over some sewerage / water pipe costs and decided to take them on. He won! Now he shares his knowledge to help others. There is no silver bullet ..

In my city, it says on the Council www:

Keeping chickens is a great way to recycle your food scraps, reduce grubs and get your own supply of fresh eggs.
The number of chickens you can have, and how you need to house them, is explained in state law. Use the links below to read more:
You cannot keep roosters in residential areas.

Hmm, sorry, but words have meaning and are our only way to communicate with each other. Again, words have meaning. CANNOT does not mean I will not or cannot, beacause I most assuredly DID have a rooster and I have evidence to that fact, and I will so have another rooster at some given point lol

If council had the right, and it does not, to stop roosters being owned in residential areas, it would have applied for a law. Do you know how long and how many legal experts it takes to draft a law? I'll be pushing up daisies by then .. heck, maybe my grandkids will even be pushing up petunias by then.

Did you see this?
Noise Code SDCI | Seattle Gov't

I got a little discouraged last night because I realized we did technically get an official complaint.
There is no official complaint if you do not have a letter with council / authority header on it. The visiting officer was hoping he could avoid having to do any paperwork by dropping in aka as being nice, hoping you and the neighbour can sort it out without him.
I need to write to them like asap. That’s my first step. Aiming for this week. I need to make it clear to them I care and do not want to disturb them,
Yes, get the letter to them as quick as you can - all ppl like matters dealt with swiftly, this avoids additional frustrations which won't be in your favour. I would apologise for the disturbance, but keep the ball in their court; ask them what you can do to appease them? and explain how much roo means to you, how it would take such a long time to rehome him etc. I would invite them over to meet roo, but only if you are sure he won't act the goat around them. Or take roo with you when you deliver the letter.
but like they need to be reasonable as well right.
Nope lol
Heck we have neighbors that blast reggaeton all afternoon for over an hour 😂 maybe not everyday but. Ya kno.
Yep, and you have every right to complain if you wanted to. As to my point above re your neighbours meeting roo. His noise may seem not so bothersome if they know him a bit. Invite them to give him some bread etc -- bond with him a little. The reggae music probably wouldn't be a problem if you were in that house partying on lol
Please keep us updated. there may be others going through the same thing at some point.
I wish I still had my roo, then you could have watched it happen in real time lol. Nothing!

I’ve wrestled with this issue and I’m in the Seattle area. I’ve explored all sorts of things, trying to convince neighbors that incessant crowing at 4:30 AM next to their house really isn’t a big issue, the use of a black out “rooster closet” to reduce early morning crowing, crow collars, I’ve even reached out to vets to explore decrowing surgery. I eventually gave up, concluding that there simply is no practical way to have a rooster in the city and burbs where the houses are crammed so close together. I’d go a step further and suggest that pushing this issue could backfire badly. If there is success in pushing the issue that not allowing roosters is somehow inhumane, it could lead to the banning of backyard chickens altogether, and frankly, I’ve been around in the activist world long enough to know that this could actually be the long game of some well meaning animal rights activists who are actually against caging animals as livestock altogether.

Allowing a rooster per household would barely have any effect on the huge number of roosters that are put down, one for every hen. You’d still have 5-7 roosters offed per backyard city flock.

I see a couple of possible solutions that I don’t hear being promoted by those who care a lot about animal rights and it surprises me. New technology is coming down the line that detects male hormones in the egg before it’s even incubated, allowing for the diversion of otherwise perfectly good eggs to the food stream. This would reduce waste and reduce suffering, a win win! Of course this is not attractive to those who believe we just shouldn’t eat any animal products, but I think it would be a huge step in the direction of reducing needless suffering.

The other option that I don’t hear talked about for folks who are willing to do the work would be to keep the rooster inside the home, where the noise would only effect the home occupants, there is no restriction that I am aware of of keeping birds indoors. The rooster could be allowed to join the flock of hens during the day for coital visits to fertilize eggs, and this would only be restricted to the extent that someone complains… you’d need to be on good terms with the neighbors, finding some agreement on what time of day the noise is tolerable. Don’t kid yourself, in the quiet of the early morning a rooster’s crow pierces the walls of all the surrounding homes, and it happens over and over again, getting earlier and therefore relatively louder as we approach solstice. My attempt at a rooster revealed that the earliest crowing in june began very very early and it was loud, audible throughout the neighborhood.

The other aspect, a solution of sorts, for those wanting to grow chickens for meat, hens and roosters, is to grow out Cornish cross. They become harvest weight before the roosters begin to crow, meaning no need to have only females. I was actually told by a city official that keeping meat birds beyond the 6 adults here was permitted as long as they are harvested before 6 months… the limit of 6 only applies to 6 adults. Fortunately CX roosters are good for meat, unlike many other breeds of chickens.

As far as any argument that it’s unnatural to have only hens in the city, I’d say pretty much nothing about the modern chicken is natural. Natural would be leaving the species to the tropical wilds of Asia where predation that kept the population in balance, resulted in most of the chicks that hatch getting eaten by a predator before they reach reproductive age. Nature does not show favor of one species over another, it’s an interconnected, interdependent web of Evolution driven by birth, struggle, selection pressure and the checks and balances of predation.

There is no official complaint if you do not have a letter with council / authority header on it. The visiting officer was hoping he could avoid having to do any paperwork by dropping in aka as being nice, hoping you and the neighbour can sort it out without him.

Yes, get the letter to them as quick as you can - all ppl like matters dealt with swiftly, this avoids additional frustrations which won't be in your favour. I would apologise for the disturbance, but keep the ball in their court; ask them what you can do to appease them? and explain how much roo means to you, how it would take such a long time to rehome him etc. I would invite them over to meet roo, but only if you are sure he won't act the goat around them. Or take roo with you when you deliver the letter.

Nope lol

Yep, and you have every right to complain if you wanted to. As to my point above re your neighbours meeting roo. His noise may seem not so bothersome if they know him a bit. Invite them to give him some bread etc -- bond with him a little. The reggae music probably wouldn't be a problem if you were in that house partying on lol

Please keep us updated. there may be others going through the same thing at some point.

I wish I still had my roo, then you could have watched it happen in real time lol. Nothing!

Nope lol

Thankyou so much for ur support and feedback! It’s been both encouraging and enlightening. Especially when I most need it!
I will definitely keep this updated

Watch that video I posted. It's not a long video, around 10mins, but a lot of law info is given. This info applies to all legal matters. The man speaking is not a lawyer by trade. he was being fined by the his city, PA, (I think) over some sewerage / water pipe costs and decided to take them on. He won! Now he shares his knowledge to help others. There is no silver bullet ..

Keeping chickens is a great way to recycle your food scraps, reduce grubs and get your own supply of fresh eggs.
The number of chickens you can have, and how you need to house them, is explained in state law. Use the links below to read more:

Hmm, sorry, but words have meaning and are our only way to communicate with each other. Again, words have meaning. CANNOT does not mean I will not or cannot, beacause I most assuredly DID have a rooster and I have evidence to that fact, and I will so have another rooster at some given point lol

If council had the right, and it does not, to stop roosters being owned in residential areas, it would have applied for a law. Do you know how long and how many legal experts it takes to draft a law? I'll be pushing up daisies by then .. heck, maybe my grandkids will even be pushing up petunias by then.

Did you see this?

Did you see this?
I didn’t see the video u mentioned ??

Back
Top Bottom