can fertilized eggs in a refrigerator hatch?

Newbie6789

Songster
Mar 4, 2020
I sell duck eggs for consumption. I had someone reach out to me asking if they could be fertile (sl possibility and I told them that). My question to this formum: I keep them in the fridge - will they be able to hatch if by chance they are fertile??
Thanks

I sell duck eggs for consumption. I had someone reach out to me asking if they could be fertile (sl possibility and I told them that). My question to this formum: I keep them in the fridge - will they be able to hatch if by chance they are fertile??
Thanks
It's possible but depends on how long they're refrigerated. Viability of eggs will drop faster when in the fridge, a few days is fine, longer than a week is less likely.

My ducks came from store bought eggs, the eggs were so chilled on the shelf, that there were drops of condensation on the eggs. They were very cold, and were likely cold for a couple days minimum.
Three still grew, one was damaged and quit. Two hatched.

It's possible but depends on how long they're refrigerated. Viability of eggs will drop faster when in the fridge, a few days is fine, longer than a week is less likely.

My ducks came from store bought eggs, the eggs were so chilled on the shelf, that there were drops of condensation on the eggs. They were very cold, and were likely cold for a couple days minimum.
Three still grew, one was damaged and quit. Two hatched.
I was just going to tag you @BelovedBirds

Yes it’s possible but I would tell them they may not have great results and that way they can’t hold it against you if none hatch

I just put some refrigerated eggs under my broody hen... So we'll see what happens! I've read that you're supposed to warm them to room temperature before you put them in the incubator or under a broody. Does anyone have experience with going straight to the incubator or hen without warming to room temp first? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom