Can geese thrive without pasture?

SummerTheAnimalGirl

✝️Christ is everything!
Apr 7, 2022
Hi all!

So, I am considerin getting geese. I am expanding my chicken run and replenishing my flock this spring, so I thought this might be a good time to add geese if I decide too.

The only thing I’m unsure about is their diet. We don’t have any really good pasture land, and as everyone here knows, the chickens will quickly kill vegetation in the run. I will be able to free range the geese when I can supervise, which will be a couple (if not more) times a week, and they can go on the yard and eat the clover or eat anymore of the prairie-ish grass we have around in the Summer.

My question is, can I feed geese anything other than fresh grass for most of the day? I’ve heard some people feed them hay and Just lots of veggie scraps, grain, etc. would that work when they aren’t able to free range? Or is it cruel to feed geese anything other than pasture 24/7? Any input would be very much appreciated!

Thanks I’m advance!

Im in colorado on a dry hill. Its funny but my geese can find a blade of grass no one in the world would ever see. But most of the last 2 years they have had no pasture 10 month out of the year. I sprout grains for them Barley is there favorite and they prefer it on days 3-4 of sprouting used to do fodder but they wasted allot. Really not necessary but it works for mine. If you can get good grass hay they will munch on it. I have a friend that cuts grass in the summer. There are 2 lawns he dose that dont use chemicals so I pick up the clippings. Seems my geese favorite treat is when I dump there ponds digging in the mud looking for roots.

Im in colorado on a dry hill. Its funny but my geese can find a blade of grass no one in the world would ever see. But most of the last 2 years they have had no pasture 10 month out of the year. I sprout grains for them Barley is there favorite and they prefer it on days 3-4 of sprouting used to do fodder but they wasted allot. Really not necessary but it works for mine. If you can get good grass hay they will munch on it. I have a friend that cuts grass in the summer. There are 2 lawns he dose that dont use chemicals so I pick up the clippings. Seems my geese favorite treat is when I dump there ponds digging in the mud looking for roots.
Thank you so much for help! I do have a couple neighbors with big lawns- I can ask for their clippings. So, they can do well on good grass hay, occasional foraging and some lawn clippings? Sprouting seeds are great ideas. I will look into that as well!

Thank you so much for help! I do have a couple neighbors with big lawns- I can ask for their clippings. So, they can do well on good grass hay, occasional foraging and some lawn clippings? Sprouting seeds are great ideas. I will look into that as well!
Mine have flock raiser or duck food available. If they have other things like hay cliping ect they will probably go for thous first. Another thought is dont feed clippings if just fertilized or have been used.

If your interested my sprouting system is really easy 4 3 gallon buckets 3 with small holes in the bottom one without. I soak one for 24 hours in the one without holes then wet down the other two 2 times a day ( Im feeding 19 large birds) Then add a crushed up niacin pill right before I feed. When there laying I had 1 cup of shelled safflower or sunflower seeds to up there protein and vitamin e feed on the 3rd day.

Attachments

• a 001.JPG
    a 001.JPG
    431.7 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom