Can i add a "raw" egg to my dogs food?...is it safe?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
hi..i sometimes add a raw egg or 2 to my dogs food..once a day..but they are store bought "Pasturized" eggs...so..now that i'm finally getting some eggs..(from my ducks..and hopefully chickens will be soon...
fl.gif
..)can i use my own flock eggs..raw..un-pasturized..in their food?...thanks for any advice.
smile.png
...Wendy

Mine don't really like the eggs raw, I cook them up. I wouldn't worry about it, have you seen some of the stuff dogs eat?!?! I guess if you're worried about salmonella or something go ahead and cook them, but from what I've read store bought eggs are more likely to cause problems than farm fresh just because of the disease factor in the commercial raising programs.

eggs are great for dogs coats,, even a tablespoon or 2 in their food is good for them, it makes their coats shinier, thicker,,,,,,,,BUT, the experts may say raw eggs can carry diseases, , but i used to do it for my dogs in Maine every fall, thru winter, and never had 1 have any problems with it.

As long as the eggs are whole, and in relative moderation, raw ones from your own clean, healthy birds are fine.

Raw egg whites contain avidin, which (for dogs) interferes with the uptake of biotin.

If you fed a dog a lot of raw egg whites, he could develop a biotin deficiency.

But the yolks contain so much biotin, it sort of cancels that effect out when feeding whole eggs.

FWIW, though I feed my dogs a raw diet, I gently boil their eggs, on the theory that they are less likely to make the connection between their food and any freshly-laid eggs they may come across. I don't want to inadvertently train an egg-sucker.

But I have no real evidence that this is necessary or effective.

thanks people!...my dogs love an egg in their food!.
tongue.png
...and it does make the coat shiny also...i also add some veggies to their food.(once a day).like cabbage, kale, green beans, peas, carrots, spinich,(whatever i have in my fridge)..they say that the leafy greens are good for their joints and such...thanks, Wendy

thanks quailhollow and chirpy..appreciate the help...
smile.png
..Wendy

Last edited:
My dogs love raw eggs, too!! They get so excited when I collect eggs because I give them each one if my girls are laying well. I've been giving them raw eggs for a couple of years now, and I haven't had any health problems with any of my dogs at all.

Back
Top Bottom