Can I add colloidal silver to corid water?

I prefer not to put it down her throat because she is having a hard time breathing. I think you aren't supposed to add anything to the water, but just asking
Thanks.
More information please?
What are you trying to treat?

You mention your hen(?) is having a hard time breathing. What are her symptoms, how old is she, does she have a history of respiratory illness, is her crop emptying, does she have fluid or bloat in the abdomen, is she having a hard time laying eggs, does she have mucous or yellow/white pasty material inside her beak?

I would not add Colloidal Silver to Corid water. While I have not seen any contraindications, it's best to not mix "ingredients", medications and/or supplements.

Give the Silver orally, you'll have to research and determine the best dosing/method of administering the Silver, you may find this thread helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/colloidal-silver-dosage.1277070/

Corid (Amprolium) is a Coccidiostat, it is not an antibiotic, it is not a dewormer, it's used to treat Coccidiosis only, so if you are using it as an attempt to treat some type of infection or worms, then you will find it ineffective.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

More information please?
What are you trying to treat?

You mention your hen(?) is having a hard time breathing. What are her symptoms, how old is she, does she have a history of respiratory illness, is her crop emptying, does she have fluid or bloat in the abdomen, is she having a hard time laying eggs, does she have mucous or yellow/white pasty material inside her beak?

I would not add Colloidal Silver to Corid water. While I have not seen any contraindications, it's best to not mix "ingredients", medications and/or supplements.

Give the Silver orally, you'll have to research and determine the best dosing/method of administering the Silver, you may find this thread helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/colloidal-silver-dosage.1277070/

Corid (Amprolium) is a Coccidiostat, it is not an antibiotic, it is not a dewormer, it's used to treat Coccidiosis only, so if you are using it as an attempt to treat some type of infection or worms, then you will find it ineffective.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea what is wrong with her. I am giving corid because another hen is sick with it which I initially thought was vent gleet. I am been the one with the labored breathing for weeks. I have checked everything and I don't know what is wrong. I live in the suburbs. No farm vets here. Not much help on here either. Not eggbound, not sour crop, no fluid in nose or eyes, abdomen seems fine. I am not sure if she also has cocci and that causes breathing issues.

I am losing sleep over her and crying and I don't know what to do. I am extremely sensitive and have maybe an unhealthy attachment to my birds.. (no kids) I am stressing myself out but watching her is making me frustrated and sad.

Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea what is wrong with her. I am giving corid because another hen is sick with it which I initially thought was vent gleet. I am been the one with the labored breathing for weeks. I have checked everything and I don't know what is wrong. I live in the suburbs. No farm vets here. Not much help on here either. Not eggbound, not sour crop, no fluid in nose or eyes, abdomen seems fine. I am not sure if she also has cocci and that causes breathing issues.

I am losing sleep over her and crying and I don't know what to do. I am extremely sensitive and have maybe an unhealthy attachment to my birds.. (no kids) I am stressing myself out but watching her is making me frustrated and sad.
The Corid won't hurt her even if coccidiosis is not what she has, but it won't help with breathing.

When you say "breathing problems" do you mean open-beak breathing or is she raspy, like she's got a cold? She could have a virus and need antibiotics if this has been going on for a while. Mine have grown out of having raspy breathing and sneezing usually, but once one wouldn't get better, so antibiotics helped.

Chickens mean a lot to many of us, and are an emotional support of sorts so don't think you're having an unhealthy attachment. You're fine, but they need you too like you need them. :hugs

Can you get a video of her actions and photos of her, her face/eyes and her poop?

Photos of the other hen that you think has Vent Gleet?

Corid will not treat Vent Gleet. Vent Gleet is a yeast or fungal infection of the Cloaca/Vent. You will need to treat with an antifungal or yeast medication, IF Vent Gleet is the problem.
Sometimes a hen has a poopy butt that just needs a good clean up. Sometimes the problem is lice or mites, so photos can be helpful.

As for the breathing - hard to know. Coccidiosis more than likely is not the issue causing respiratory distress. There's many things that can cause symptoms.
Respiratory illness like Mycoplasma is one.

Is her crop emptying - check it.

I'm sorry that you are upset, but stressing yourself is not going to be productive in solving problems and you can also project that stress onto your birds as well.

Sometimes birds get sick or come down with conditions that we may be able to treat or manage, so if you'll please get us some info, photos and video, we'll see how we can help.

I am losing sleep over her and crying and I don't know what to do.

The Corid won't hurt her even if coccidiosis is not what she has, but it won't help with breathing.

When you say "breathing problems" do you mean open-beak breathing or is she raspy, like she's got a cold? She could have a virus and need antibiotics if this has been going on for a while. Mine have grown out of having raspy breathing and sneezing usually, but once one wouldn't get better, so antibiotics helped.

Chickens mean a lot to many of us, and are an emotional support of sorts so don't think you're having an unhealthy attachment. You're fine, but they need you too like you need them. :hugs
Tha k you. Open brak breathing where her whole body moves and her tail lifts up and down with each breath. Not raspy. I tried tylan in her and no change.

Can you get a video of her actions and photos of her, her face/eyes and her poop?

Photos of the other hen that you think has Vent Gleet?

Corid will not treat Vent Gleet. Vent Gleet is a yeast or fungal infection of the Cloaca/Vent. You will need to treat with an antifungal or yeast medication, IF Vent Gleet is the problem.
Sometimes a hen has a poopy butt that just needs a good clean up. Sometimes the problem is lice or mites, so photos can be helpful.

As for the breathing - hard to know. Coccidiosis more than likely is not the issue causing respiratory distress. There's many things that can cause symptoms.
Respiratory illness like Mycoplasma is one.

Is her crop emptying - check it.

I'm sorry that you are upset, but stressing yourself is not going to be productive in solving problems and you can also project that stress onto your birds as well.

Sometimes birds get sick or come down with conditions that we may be able to treat or manage, so if you'll please get us some info, photos and video, we'll see how we can help.
Everyone is on corid because of another chicken. I thought she had vent gleet because of the white, gooey discharge and her looking very ill with her head down and eyes closed. She got a little better but then worse, so I noticed some of the symptoms were also cocci.

I can't attach a picture here and although I am still pretty young, technology is not my thing to do a video.

How old is she? Do you know when she last laid? Even some plain old pictures could be helpful, of droppings, her vent, etc. To attach a picture you just click on the 'attach files' button at the bottom of this box where you type in, and select the file (picture) from your phone or computer, that you want to up load. When it shows up in the box, just click "insert" and "full image", and that's it.

Back
Top Bottom