Can I add colloidal silver to corid water?

Here's some information about treating Vent Gleet.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

I'd check the hens over for lice/mites and make sure the crops are emptying overnight.

If the respiratory distress is caused by a Virus, an antibiotic will not help, usually the Virus will just have to run it's course.

If the respiratory distress is caused by a bacterial or bacteria-like disease like Mycoplasma, then Tylosin (Tylan), Tiamulin (Denagard) or a Tetracycline can be used to treat symptoms.

You mention giving Tylan. Was that water soluble Tylan(Tylosin) or the Injectable Tylan50 or 200?
Tylan/Tylosin is bitter and if it's the soluble in the drinking water, the hen must drink. If she didn't drink very well, then she likely didn't get enough medication. You may have to syringe the medicated water into her several times a day.

Injectable Tylan 50 or 200 can be given orally. But it needs to be given 3X a day for 5 days in a row.

Injectable Tylan 50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

Injectable Tylan 200 dose is 0.05ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

Hopefully your hens will improve.

How old is she? Do you know when she last laid? Even some plain old pictures could be helpful, of droppings, her vent, etc. To attach a picture you just click on the 'attach files' button at the bottom of this box where you type in, and select the file (picture) from your phone or computer, that you want to up load. When it shows up in the box, just click "insert" and "full image", and that's it.
She is 2. She hasn't laid since December. I attached are pics of her poop from this morning and of my girl. Of course I couldn't get a picture of her breathing with her mouth open. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20240311_075343.jpg
    IMG_20240311_075343.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240310_160833.jpg
    IMG_20240310_160833.jpg
    644 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240310_160827.jpg
    IMG_20240310_160827.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240310_160840.jpg
    IMG_20240310_160840.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Here's some information about treating Vent Gleet.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

I'd check the hens over for lice/mites and make sure the crops are emptying overnight.

If the respiratory distress is caused by a Virus, an antibiotic will not help, usually the Virus will just have to run it's course.

If the respiratory distress is caused by a bacterial or bacteria-like disease like Mycoplasma, then Tylosin (Tylan), Tiamulin (Denagard) or a Tetracycline can be used to treat symptoms.

You mention giving Tylan. Was that water soluble Tylan(Tylosin) or the Injectable Tylan50 or 200?
Tylan/Tylosin is bitter and if it's the soluble in the drinking water, the hen must drink. If she didn't drink very well, then she likely didn't get enough medication. You may have to syringe the medicated water into her several times a day.

Injectable Tylan 50 or 200 can be given orally. But it needs to be given 3X a day for 5 days in a row.

Injectable Tylan 50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

Injectable Tylan 200 dose is 0.05ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

Hopefully your hens will improve.
Thank you for the information. I gave her the injectable tylan. I soaked the dose in bread and gave to her morning and night (I have a full time job)

Thank you for the information. I gave her the injectable tylan. I soaked the dose in bread and gave to her morning and night (I have a full time job)
Very good.

In the future, if you can only give 2X a day, increase your dose. Tylan has a wide dosing range of 10-40mg/kg and the dosing I gave you is for 25mg/kg, so I'd just increase to 30-35mg/kg and give 2X a day. Make sense?

As for the photos. The cecal poop is a bit muddy looking, but it's also the same color as the regular poop. Poop can be a lot of different colors depending on diet, supplements and even the color of dirt they are on. For instance, if the birds have access to wood ash, often poop will be black.

I don't see anything really alarming in the photos.

I'd give her a good checking over, make sure the crop is emptying.
If possible, take a poop sample to your vet just to rule out worms as being a problem.

Very good.

In the future, if you can only give 2X a day, increase your dose. Tylan has a wide dosing range of 10-40mg/kg and the dosing I gave you is for 25mg/kg, so I'd just increase to 30-35mg/kg and give 2X a day. Make sense?

As for the photos. The cecal poop is a bit muddy looking, but it's also the same color as the regular poop. Poop can be a lot of different colors depending on diet, supplements and even the color of dirt they are on. For instance, if the birds have access to wood ash, often poop will be black.

I don't see anything really alarming in the photos.

I'd give her a good checking over, make sure the crop is emptying.
If possible, take a poop sample to your vet just to rule out worms as being a problem.
Thank you very much. I did order some Doxycycline, hopefully that helps.

Back
Top Bottom