Can I combine eggs under 1 hen?

vwoods

Songster
11 Years
Apr 25, 2008
Spotsylvania, Virginia
I have two australorps who have just started broody behavior. They are side by side in seperate nest boxes. Neither one will come out and growl and hiss when I get too near. My question is this. If they are each sitting on just a few eggs can I put them all under one hen ( really need to do this because of space issues) or is it better to let them each sit on eggs . And the next question is this. I will need to move the "chosen one" to the secured dog crate inside to coop where she won't be bothered but does this sometimes upset them? Will she continue to sit on the eggs after the move? Sorry this seems a stupid question but I haven't ever had a broody before. And should I make this move after dark when they are a little less likely to be upset? Any feedback is appreciated.

You can probably put all the eggs under one hen. And yes, move her after dark. I had to put mine with her nest box and all in the pen for her to accept the move.

WHat if my nesting box is built into the coop? How in the world will I do this? Can't move nest box and all? Guees I could somehow slip something like a piece of cardboard under the nesting material and lift her and the nesting material out? This is getting complicated!! Maybe when I get home they will both have decided they don't want to be broody!! Actually, that will be disappointing to my kids and me...

Back
Top Bottom