Can I eat the eggs if......

ok Im confused.. you cant eat eggs if the hen is still on grower feed? sorry Im confused ... so how do you know when to switch to layer crumbles.?
)O(
Pink

Ok.

If your feed is medicated, it will be medicated for cocci prevention. In most cases this will be amprol, a thiamine blocker. You can eat this food yourself and not be harmed, it doesn't even kill cocci! It only prevents the cocci protoza from making babies inside the chickens.

In some cases, sulfa based drugs are still used, if so, you are only at a minor risk IF you are allergic to sulfa drugs.

If the feed really is medicated, it WILL have some indication on the feed bag tag. It won't be listed in the ingredients like everything else.

BTW, ACS is used in human food... so it's not that.

I didn't mean ACS was the problem. I was just clarifying that ACS stands for acidified calcium sulfate. It is FDA and USDA approved for consumption. It is referred to as "GRAS", generally recognized as safe.

I know pinkwindsong! I am confused also. This is what the guy in a pet shop said to me (not the shop where I bought the food) he said you need to move pullets onto layers feed 4 weeks before they lay their first egg. My question is... How do you know when they're going to lay their first egg until they've laid it??

So is this guy just talking rubbish? Can I eat my eggs? Is there any reason for both my chickens not to be on growers and layers food mixed together?

I hope I can eat the eggs, my older girls aint earning their keep at the minute re; egglaying!

I didn't know any better, so when my girls started laying, I started eating eggs. I am not sure if the grower feed was medicated or not. I didn't buy layer food until they started laying. I ate quite a few of those eggs during the transition, and I'm not dead.
At least I don't think I am. At my age, it gets harder to tell.
old.gif

Quote:
First, you would only need to be concerned if you were actually feeding "medicated" feed. The package should actually say "medicated" and you wouldn't have to read the lable to see if it was medicated. Secondly, if a laying hen somehow (whether on purpose, or by accident) ingested medicine, the egg withdrawl period is generally recognized at 2 weeks. Thirdly, all chickens, whether by breed or individual, begin laying at different ages. To say you need to move pullets to a layer feed 4 weeks prior to their first egg is an uneducated guess. IMO if you have several chicks of roughly the same age, and breed, you could start on layer feed when the first girl lays an egg.

If the guy in the pet shop said, "There's some sort of drug in it," then he does not have the knowledge you are looking for and is not a resource you should be trusting for accurate information. If you've read the entire bag and found no alarming ingredients or additives, eat the eggs. I'm sure you've invested a lot of time and money into those first eggs, so enjoy them!

Back
Top Bottom