Can I feed a can of red kidney beans to my chickens?

rcentner

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Le Roy, NY
I am looking to increase the protein for my molters and I have this can of red kidney beans that I will never eat. Can they eat it? I have seen some conflicting info on if that is safe.

any other ideas besides eggs/boss for increasing protein?

My girls weekly get a meal of 1 quart pinto beans and 1lb. brown rice. Egg production increases every time. My husband says they are Latino chicks. Never a fart that I can observe. They do eat the rice first.

My girls won't eat the Laying Mash or the Laying Pellets. I have tried on the ground and and in a hanging feeder. I am going to try the beans and rice idea from GardenWeasel. Thanks. I'll advise on the farts!!

Beans and rice are not a balanced diet for chickens, so feeding it on a regular basis will not result in a well-nourished flock and it can affect egg laying.

I recommend you try an all flock feed such as Purina Flock Raiser, or even chick starter if you can't find an all flock feed. It's higher in protein and hens much prefer the taste. If switching to a higher protein feed doesn't do the trick, try fermenting it. Fermenting is easy to do and it transforms blah-tasting feed into something much more interesting, not to mention higher in nutritional value.

Just be sure to supply free choice oyster shell so your layers continue to get the calcium they need.

Peas are another source of protein.

Beans I say OK, Bush's I say no thank you (too much sugar).

Rice has not much nutrients and yes every chicken I have loves it. And beans are fine (not dried), but as @azygous said is not a complete balance and WILL effect your birds long term if that's their main food.

Love fermented feed. Check the link in my signature line for some quick info on it if you like.

I buy a can of 6 beans for my Chickens and Boil it up.......Cold nights they get that mixed with scratch.....-28 Clesius today with the Windchill Brrrrrrrrr!

Cheers!
Brrr, That is cold! Here have a hot cup of tea, cider, or coffee with me...(whichever you like)
caf.gif
wink.png

yes you can... but beware of the above mentioned chicken farts...
lau.gif
and its funny when a chicken farts

Back
Top Bottom