Can I get a new drake as a companion for my other drake?

cflory

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2020
I have a pair of ducks that I got a couple years ago as ducklings (someone bought them and couldn’t take care of them so I took them). The hen is a mallard and the drake is a pekin, and since spring is here, he’s once again become very eager to mate and aggressive towards me. My biggest concern right now is that he is over breeding the hen. Im beginning to realize that she doesn’t always want to mate but has no choice because of his size. She’s much smaller than him and the only hen he has to mate with, so I’ve had to separate them now. My challenge now is making sure both ducks have companions after being separated. I would get another drake but I’m afraid mine would be aggressive. The hen will still live in my chicken flock, but the male will be lonely unless I find him a drake that gets along with him. Does anyone know how this might play out?

I guess it depends on the drake. When I put my Mallard Drake in with my Muscovy Drake because of over mating my Hens my Muscovy was on top of my poor Mallard trying to mate him! He ended up getting rehomed as he would mate anything. It is good that some work out well, mine just did not.

You could put them side by side with fencing to start that way they get to meet and greet with out picking your resident drake will look at a new comer as an invader to start with.

Back
Top Bottom