Can I give my flock vitamins ? Need help . Two sick ones

Danielle farmgirl

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2021
Hello everyone, I recently acquired four Plymouth Rock hens and kept them separate from my other flock for two weeks. The ladies stool was liquidy and blackish yellow . Figured transport stress , new location, new feed . Last week I noticed one of them wasn’t doing great . Thought I heard a sneeze a few times. Since then she’s developed an eye infection where she’s constantly having one eye closed and it looks swollen. I’ve been giving electrolytes, feed . Treats , water and using vet rx under her wings , coloidial silver spray for her eyes and polysporin eye twice a day . It seriously makes me sad . The last two night my rooster who is still not in direct contact hasn’t been going into his coop. We found him on the stairs before the coop . Today hiding behind our skis . I picked him up and put him back with his ladies. His breathing seemed raspy but he was alert . All the other hens , roosters , babies all seem ok. Should I give him vitamin D ? Should I be treating my flock with something ?

How far away are your new birds from your current flock? You can do vitamins, but at this point, you'll likely need tylan or another medication.

Can you get one of them to a vet tomorrow to get some antibiotics?

Unfortunately vitamins don't fix chicken diseases and it sounds like you just might have brought home a disease.

Which state are you in?
I can give you a direct link to your state lab and they can walk you through how to gather a sample for testing to figure out which disease you're dealing with.

Most chicken diseases do not go away but some you can treat symptoms.

Do not rehome any birds be sure to keep a closed flock until you figure out what you're dealing with.

How far away are your new birds from your current flock? You can do vitamins, but at this point, you'll likely need tylan or another medication.
They are in a separate room . My older flock free range during day . The new additions have just started coming out but no direct contact. What is Tylan ? Where do I get it ? Totally stressed

Can you get one of them to a vet tomorrow to get some antibiotics?

Unfortunately vitamins don't fix chicken diseases and it sounds like you just might have brought home a disease.

Which state are you in?
I can give you a direct link to your state lab and they can walk you through how to gather a sample for testing to figure out which disease you're dealing with.

Most chicken diseases do not go away but some you can treat symptoms.

Do not rehome any birds be sure to keep a closed flock until you figure out what you're dealing with.
i don’t have a vet that will see my chickens. What type of antibiotics ? I’m in Montréal Canada

They are in a separate room . My older flock free range during day . The new additions have just started coming out but no direct contact. What is Tylan ? Where do I get it ? Totally stressed
Tylan is one antibiotic that can be used to treat some symptoms.
Chicken diseases are usually airborne and can travel on your clothes from one room to the next. It is almost impossible for a regular backyard chicken keeper to properly quarantine new birds especially if they are not football field length apart from your other flock.

Tylan is one antibiotic that can be used to treat some symptoms.
Chicken diseases are usually airborne and can travel on your clothes from one room to the next. It is almost impossible for a regular backyard chicken keeper to properly quarantine new birds especially if they are not football field length apart from your other flock.
Lovely ! First time I add a different breed :( will call my cow vet tomorrow see if she has a suggestion. Thank you

So quick update it looks like an upper respiratory infection has hit my flock . Praying I caught it on time . Vet dropped off some antibiotics. How long do you think it’ll take to see a difference ?

Back
Top Bottom