Can I harm her if I give Gentian Violet and Copper Suphate if I'm wrong and it's not a fungal infect

Freia

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
So my adopted flock has been slowly shrinking from EYP. I have 2 more dying right now. I've been learning all I can about EYP. And today it really sunk in - one of them IS NOT dying from EYP. She is not an internal layer. Definitely not. Holy Chickenfeathers!!! I got so excited, because maybe I can help this one. Then it occurred to me that she's still dying an I have no idea what I'm doing...

I'm considering treating her for an intestinal fungal infection.

My plan: 24 hours with no food, only copper sulphate in her water, then yoghurt with gentian violet, then some protein, then easily digestible mashes.

Why I think it could be fungal? A lot of things could cause her symptoms. Fungal infection is one that I might actually be able to do something about, so why not try? Can I hurt her if I do what I'm planning and I'm wrong?

Symptoms: 1 month ago, she started having "green poos of death" - no blood. They're really runny ones with bright green chunks. She's also anorexic. She has a very poor appetite, and is extremely thin. She doesn't seem miserable, and is happily doing her usual routine around the yard pecking and scratching. She retires early, and sleeps in the nest-box - probably from exhaustion. She does not appear to be processing and absorbing the food she does eat. She isn't laying (but she rarely does).

History:

Breed: RIR
Age: unknown - at least 2, probably closer to 5. I got her 18 months ago. She's never been much of a layer, which is why I suspect advanced age. Always been very healthy
She, and the others, were wormed with Valbazen 6 weeks ago - 2 treatments 10 days apart. I can't imagine that worms are her problem.
Diet: Layer pellets, whatever she finds on our 5 acres, and kitchen scraps - fruits and veggies. Unfortunately, the kids sneak her bread, which makes me a little suspicious.
Feed is stored in a tight garbage can outside, under a carport. Seems to stay dry.
Bedding is straw, with pine shavings on top. The straw also makes me suspicious - I know it can be a mold/fungus haven.
Rest of the flock? I have one other bird with loose poos. However, their content seems to be normal, they just aren't nice firm turds. Hen is plump and is laying. I don't think the two have the same problem.
They get DE mixed with the pellets, raw ACV in one of their waterers daily, and fresh garlic daily.

Last edited:
If it were my hen I'd want to rule out coccidiosis too (older hens can get it if immunocompromised or exposed to different soil).

I don't know about the treatment you are suggesting...I haven't given those to chickens.

Here:
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/coccidiosis-in-chickens.aspx
I personally give Corid (in the cattle section) 9.6% liquid solution. I give 9.5 ml per gallon of drinking water for 5-7 days, mixing new solution daily. Improvement is seen in the first 24 hours from my experience.

I think your hen might be run down and having a hard time bouncing back - I don't know what is wrong with your hen, but that is what I would do if it were my hen. Hopefully others will chime in.

Last edited:
Can a hen have coccidiosis and act normal except for the runny gut? I know they don't always have the bloody poo, but I thought they generally act quite miserable? And can they have it for over a month and still be alive? If so, I can easily get some Corid and I'll more than happily try it. I don't think she has long - she's very thin (but still quite active and perky), so I want to try the most likely cure first.

If she does have coccidiosis, does that mean the whole flock has it, or is it possible that she just was weaker and more susceptible for some reason? I know they all have it in their guts to some extent normally.

Can a hen have coccidiosis and act normal except for the runny gut? I know they don't always have the bloody poo, but I thought they generally act quite miserable? And can they have it for over a month and still be alive? If so, I can easily get some Corid and I'll more than happily try it. I don't think she has long - she's very thin (but still quite active and perky), so I want to try the most likely cure first.

If she does have coccidiosis, does that mean the whole flock has it, or is it possible that she just was weaker and more susceptible for some reason? I know they all have it in their guts to some extent normally.

I have no experience with coccidosis in older hens- just have read about it, so take this as you will, but I have had coccidiosis in young chickens where they were acting fine with bloody poos.

Then too, I have treated coccidiosis in 3 month olds with only diarrhea, and maybe just a little "tiredness" noted - within 24 hours they had perked up and were lively again. It had lasted for several weeks before I got the idea to treat them with Corid. I felt sheepish for waiting so long but it didn't occur to me until I did treat them.

That is why I am so fast to give Corid with some diarrhea and "tiredness" if worms have been treated/' considered (and of course if they are young coccidiosis is more likely than worms from my experience).

Coccidiosis is something that they get immune to, but if their immune systems are run down, the coccidia can overwhelm the gut and they feel ill with abdominal pain and diarrhea. Chickens are masters at hiding their illness, often not showing that they feel bad until they are near death. Whoever has been exposed to the diarrhea (since they peck at each others' poo) should be treated at the same time, if you do treat.

Corid is a thiamine blocker and thus it isn't good to give vitamins at the same time when administering it.

Oftentimes coccidiosis (from what I have read) will be a silent struggle in a flock.

Please go with your intuition though! I firmly believe in intuition about these things. If you don't think that is the problem don't let someone talk you into it LOL.

Back
Top Bottom