Can I house different quail together?

mrslb333

Songster
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hiya I currently have in my incubators Button, Californian, Gambel and Bluescale quails. Would it be ok to keep them in the same aviary or should I separate into different pens. Would they interbreed?
Thanks in advance
big_smile.png

Eeerm, sometimes quail can get quite ornery. You may want to split them up, I heard Bluescales are nasty. Buttons are tiny, so they may be run over.

I would maybe keep them together a few days in the brooder when they are tiny? But not any later.

Don't keep buttons with gambels, trust me on this one
sad.png

When I first got my 5 week old gambels, I didn't know where to house them at the time so I put them in the same large tank as my adult button quails. At first, I saw my buttons bossing the gambels around, trying to show them who is the "real boss" around here. I went to bed, thinking things will be alright.
Woke up the next day and on my way out of the garage, I looked at my tank. I found one of my button's head was scalped clean, skull showing and all. It wasn't dead, just bleeding a lot! Another one was getting there, though not as severe. You can still see a small part of the skull. The third one that got heavily injured wasn't on the head, fortunately, and should recover just fine as it was only the back feathers (although bleeding a bit too). Gambels are not nice to buttons and I will definitely not be keeping them with any other quails.
I have yet to test them with scaled quails, though I don't think I will after seeing what happened to my buttons.

Thankfully, all my buttons are alive and well and this was about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, I don't think the scalped button (pure white) will ever get feathers back on his/her head. It's a real eye-sore and I feel awful for allowing them to be together for just one night.

My gambels have just entered week 8 in age. Not at fully mature size yet but they're definitely not young friendly birds anymore
sad.png

I've hatch some buttons with some bob's and gambels all at the same time after a week or so seems like the Bob's took over killing the bottons and gambels with in a 2 week period ..................so no don't keep them 2-get-er.....................I learn da hard way

Back
Top Bottom