Can I Incubate With These Measurements?

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I know that 99.5°F is ideal for hatching, but my incubator is not exact so I have to use about 98.5°F. I have the same problem with my humidity, so it’s only stable at exactly 60% humidity. I’m on day 2 of incubation but I’m concerned if this could lead to complications. If I try to fix the humidity now I fear they might shrink wrap since it will take at least 3 minutes to change the water amount within the incubator. Is this humidity and temperature ok for the first 18 days? Do I NEED to change it? I don’t want to disrupt them if I can avoid doing so.

Humidity for first 18 days should be around 30-45%

Temperature has to be 99.5 F. If it’s lower one of two things can happen: they’ll hatch late or they’ll die/not develop properly

Changing humidity is fine right now. They won’t be shrink wrapped this early. That’s usually a concern during lockdown, day 18-21

Humidity for first 18 days should be around 30-45%

Temperature has to be 99.5 F. If it’s lower one of two things can happen: they’ll hatch late or they’ll die/not develop properly

Changing humidity is fine right now. They won’t be shrink wrapped this early. That’s usually a concern during lockdown, day 18-21
Ok thank you!

Do you have a separate thermometer in there to verify the temperature?

What kind of incubator are you using?
I have a separate thermometer although It is a year old and I’m not sure if it’s 100% correct. This is my incubator.
image.jpg

it is currently heating up so don’t be worried about the low temperature.

I know that 99.5°F is ideal for hatching, but my incubator is not exact so I have to use about 98.5°F. I have the same problem with my humidity, so it’s only stable at exactly 60% humidity. I’m on day 2 of incubation but I’m concerned if this could lead to complications. If I try to fix the humidity now I fear they might shrink wrap since it will take at least 3 minutes to change the water amount within the incubator. Is this humidity and temperature ok for the first 18 days? Do I NEED to change it? I don’t want to disrupt them if I can avoid doing so.
No ... I do not believe that it's okay for the first 18 days.
It's pretty impossible to shrinkwrap at this stage in the game.

Is your thermometer calibrated?
Have you salt tested your humidity gauge?

I have a separate thermometer although It is a year old and I’m not sure if it’s 100% correct. This is my incubator.
View attachment 2146264
it is currently heating up so don’t be worried about the low temperature.

For a chance at a successful hatch it is highly recommended to get a good thermometer and calibrate it to verify the temperature in your incubator. Going off of the built in one is risking having an incorrect temperature.

Back
Top Bottom