Can I keep ducks where I live?

mobius

Songster
Feb 29, 2016
Roosting. In A Tree. In Deepest NW Montana.
Ok I am beginning to think I would love some ducks>I have six chickens which I adore but Stephen on that "No idea what I am doing" thread has called my attention to ducks.

Here is the stuation: My chickens have a nice coop and run but I am not sure if ducks fit in that scenario. Chickens free-range around the acre as a flock (although their yard is fenced) and are doing well and staying near the house actually.

I could get nests for them and hang them on the trees as well.

I live on a wooded and meadowed acre, and below the house is 103 feet of lakefront. This is in NW Montana. I have seen ducks on the lake, and wild Canadian Geese are frequently in the area. There is even a little island in the middle of the small lake/large pond. There are other houses around the lake but hidden by the trees.

So the concern I have with ducks is that the lake freezes over for about three months...January through March or so. I just wonder if this is an acceptable habitat for ducks or not. What do you think?

Hmm I don't know much about ducks but I hope you can have them I always love when people get ducks or chickens they are making a comeback!!

Ok I am beginning to think I would love some ducks>I have six chickens which I adore but Stephen on that "No idea what I am doing" thread has called my attention to ducks.

Here is the stuation: My chickens have a nice coop and run but I am not sure if ducks fit in that scenario. Chickens free-range around the acre as a flock (although their yard is fenced) and are doing well and staying near the house actually.

I could get nests for them and hang them on the trees as well.

I live on a wooded and meadowed acre, and below the house is 103 feet of lakefront. This is in NW Montana. I have seen ducks on the lake, and wild Canadian Geese are frequently in the area. There is even a little island in the middle of the small lake/large pond. There are other houses around the lake but hidden by the trees.

So the concern I have with ducks is that the lake freezes over for about three months...January through March or so. I just wonder if this is an acceptable habitat for ducks or not. What do you think?
I don't see why not. Just provide unfrozen water for them. I own ducks, and their pool is frozen through for a lot longer than that.... Usually November through April or March. They're fine in cold weather.

Hello!
You would definitely need to make some changes to accomdate ducks as ducks and chickens' needs differ a bit.
But, the part that is worrying me is that you intend to keep them on the lake. I used to live on the lake as well but NEVER let my ducks near it. While I have heard of this, most people that keep ducks on a lake it is a) there personal lake or pond or b) they are wild ducks they simply feed. When you raise your ducks from ducklings they are used to you providing for them. They will not be able to provide for themsevles. On top of that, wild ducks and geese could be a major threat to your ducks, possibly fighting and killing them.
The best option is to create housing and accommodations for your ducks and keep them with you, not on the lake. Please feel free to ask any questions! :)

Very good input from both! thank you...I am just debating this with my self. Yes, I was thinking of keeping them on the lake. You are clarifying this is not a very good idea. All good to know.
Lake? Not pond?

My neighbour keeps here on the pond. IMO that's the best situation for ducks possible. They're safe at night in a coop, and they get lots of water during the day.

Hunters aren't allowed here, fortunately IMHO. That is the problem, housing and feeding would probably have to be with the chickens (I DO have Fort Knox for the chickens, but the lake is at the other end of the acre from the chicken's housing down hill on a 15 degree slope)...I am reading that ducks do not naturally come back into the coop like my chickens do so I am thinking now I may not be set up for this very well when the snow is at three feet etc etc. Seems like I am all set up for chickens but not so much for ducks.

It may be that I could provide habitat for wild ducks...if I build it they might come...that may be a much better approach...and I would be happy to see wild ducks on the lake...

The land is very natural overall...lots of trees and ground cover. Perhaps a little shelter at lake edge, perhaps some proper duck nest houses in trees...

I have all sorts of things here. I have a bat house, a butterfly/hummer garden, good wild bird houses around the property. It is a nice ecosystem. To back that up, I have a garden in the front yard with tomatoes, many herbs, cukes, eggplants, peppers, lettuce, zucchini. None of those plants are bothered by any pest insects and of course it is organic. All I have to do is water. I can sleep outside unbothered by mosquitos.

So perhaps ducks can just be part of the micro-ecosystem that I have been building, Lo, these many years.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom