Can I leave my broody hen outside?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
My hen became broody two to three days ago. I tried kicking her off the nest but she bit me. Their coop is full of shavings right now and I don't have time to clean it and put the dog cage inside. I read that it's better for her to get more light anyway so I put the dog cage on cinder blocks and put it in their run. I have hardware cloth all along the outside with a skirt buried underneath. The only opening is about a foot on top where we ran out of the roofing material. I'm thinking of using a tarp to cover the cage up at night. Would she be safe if I leave her out at night? Weather wise, we're in the high forties and it's a little wet here so I think she should be fine in that sense.

Attachments

• PXL_20240404_204935147.jpg
    PXL_20240404_204935147.jpg
    843.5 KB · Views: 17
She can be safe, but it's also very easy for anything that can slink through that gap to then reach into the cage and grab her
Yeah, that's why I'll cover her with a tarp so she won't be seen at least. I don't know what else to do at this point. She's flighty by nature and freaks out easily.

Yeah, that's why I'll cover her with a tarp so she won't be seen at least. I don't know what else to do at this point. She's flighty by nature and freaks out easily.
I don’t think I would cover her with a tarp. She needs ventilation. Can you cover the hole with a tarp instead? I guess something could rip through it but it would at least make it a little bit harder. Or if you do cover her then maybe only cover part of the cage.

I don’t think I would cover her with a tarp. She needs ventilation. Can you cover the hole with a tarp instead? I guess something could rip through it but it would at least make it a little bit harder. Or if you do cover her then maybe only cover part of the cage.
Maybe I can put a board on the top of the cage... I was going to cover the cage with a tarp.

Back
Top Bottom