What chicken is the best for backyard

mallard_maniac

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2024
I need a chicken breed that is quite and lays many eggs and can get big for meat. I want to raise them in my backyard in a chicken. They have to be a good size and not be loud and also lay many eggs bonus if their cheap

Thank you

Most breeds are either meat, egg laying, or dual purpose. Dual purpose breeds would be breeds like australorp, Orpingtons, Delaware, to name a few.

Most chickens are vocal. Those that are more quiet like some Bantam breeds do not lay well or have a lot of meat.

I need a chicken breed that is quite and lays many eggs and can get big for meat. I want to raise them in my backyard in a chicken. They have to be a good size and not be loud and also lay many eggs bonus if their cheap

Thank you
I would go with Rhode Island reds. They get a decent size and lay a lot of eggs. They also will usually only go for around $2-3.

Most breeds are either meat, egg laying, or dual purpose. Dual purpose breeds would be breeds like australorp, Orpingtons, Delaware, to name a few.

Most chickens are vocal. Those that are more quiet like some Bantam breeds do not lay well or have a lot of meat.
We have an Orpington that likes to sing loudly in the coop as it echos lol

Our Brahmas are quiet and good meat but only soso eggs but we absolutely love them even if they are 130-150 eggs a year roughly, even some of our Australorps are quiet, we have a couple that love to sing their egg song for all to hear

My Orpington and Brahmas are the best layers 5 eggs a week but are loud when laying. My Australorp hasnt layed in over 6 months after just turning 2. My Silver laced wyandotte lays 3 or 4 eggs a week and my wyandotte pullet lays 4 eggs a week so far. But i know someone is eating the ones she is laying outside.
My pet chickens i dont use for meat. But plan on starting to raise a few cornish cross for meat each year.

Many would reccomend Rhode Island Reds if you want lots of eggs but still get meat.

There are also dual purpose breeds meant for eggs and meat

Back
Top Bottom