Can I leave my chicks for 4 days unattended?

Avonlea22

Jessamine Cottage
8 Years
Aug 27, 2011
I have 4 chicks that just turned 6 weeks old today. My wife and I are planning to go to Florida for 4 days over Christmas. By that time my babies will be almost 11 weeks old. I have a 2 gallon waterer and a large feeder. They do not yet go outside the coop, although I just finished their run so just yesterday we opened the pop door for the first time.

If I fill up their water and food, do you think they'd be fine for a full 4, maybe even 5 days?

There is another forum member that lives nearby that I have asked to check on them, but I don't really know this person and don't want them to feel obligated to check on a strangers birds over the holidays.

Last edited:
i leave my chickens for like a week sometime just make sure they will deffantley have enough food and water

Six weeks old and only a 2 gallon waterer? What if it springs a leak? Gets full of poop? I would never leave chicks that young for that long, not without someone to check on them and make sure nothing happened to their water and feed.

got a neighbor?
I personally wouldn't leave them totally unattended, I always ask my neighbors (friends) to keep an eye on my yard & house just in case. I have left my younger chicks with food and water for 2 days before without any trouble, but I also had a gam-camera on them so I could check in on them and could contact someone in case they needed help.

SpeckledHen...You got my vote. There is NO WAY I would leave young chicks like that for the reasons you stated.

Avonlee22....Check online to see if you have a PET SITTER in your area. I started using my Pet sitter originally for my dogs, but when I got chickens there was no additional charge...they show up the times of the day you want them to, play with the dogs, put them out to potty, feed and water my chickens and even clean out the coop...Much better than putting my dogs in a kennel as they are more comfortable at home and get to play several times a day, plus I don't worry about the dogs or the chickens.

I would leave mine if 1) they have plenty of extra water and food 2) are very secure in their coop and run and 3) a neighbor is able to just check in on them every once in awhile (with a general understanding that there will likely be no need for assistance)

Back
Top Bottom