Can i make 5 roosters and 6 hens work in a 10x20 run?

YarnAndChickens

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2023
So I have a situation were I bought 6 chickens and 5 turned out to be roosters. I'm having a hard time rehoming them!

I'm wondering if I bought 5 more pullets to add to the flock, could it work or are the roosters going to act out?

I have a 10x20 run and a 6x4 coop. Is that enough space for 15 birds? ( I also have 4 silkies)

If you try that, the stress levels on all chickens, and keeper, will be unbearable, even if they don't out right try to kill each other. (which is a real risk)
As a very rough rule of thumb, each rooster needs 6 to 10 hens or more. Now, this is very much up to the individual, some people keep pairs, and I have kept two or three to one rooster, but it does give you an idea of what works best.
And when you have roosters living together, the more hens the better, so for 5 roosters you would be looking at 40 to 50 hens.
You could separate the cockerels in to their own bachelor flock, and then get some pullets to keep with your other one.
Or you could learn to butcher them, and just get it over with, as unfortunately there is always going to be a chance of getting cockerels, so it is a good skill to have if you'er up for it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom