Can I mow my lawn and use the grass clippings in the run??

Mouthwash

Chirping
May 20, 2023
Chicago IL
I have a sentinel chicken coop, up on 2x6 boards, and then filled that with eco earth dirt filler, which is part sand as well. I also have that inside a 6x10 foot fenced in run that is just bare ground with grass. I'm curious if it would be a good idea to bag some grass when I mow, and throw it down in both the run, and inside the bottom of my sentinel chicken coop smaller run. My train of thought being this way before i mow next time, I can take up the old clippings in there, helping to clean up their poop, feathers, etc, mow and then throw down the clippings again. See the attached photo to make sense of my set up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626_113438_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230626_113438_Gallery.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 153
I mean it as a way to clean up the old poop and other debris the chickens make. Like the old layer of grass and poop gets rakes back up and disposed of and then new goes down.
If that's what you think will work for you, go for it! Personally I'm more hand-free and don't want chores like that, so I use deep bedding and deep litter systems (deep dry bedding under roof in main structure, deep moist litter in 2nd outdoor run)

Beware that they might gorge on the clippings causing impacted crops.
x2. I find it helps to let the clippings sit and dry for at least a day, and then the chickens are less likely to eat a lot of it. I also would not use longer clippings for the same reason - my first mow of the season always gets tossed for yard waste pick up because of that.

I have a sentinel chicken coop, up on 2x6 boards, and then filled that with eco earth dirt filler, which is part sand as well. I also have that inside a 6x10 foot fenced in run that is just bare ground with grass. I'm curious if it would be a good idea to bag some grass when I mow, and throw it down in both the run, and inside the bottom of my sentinel chicken coop smaller run. My train of thought being this way before i mow next time, I can take up the old clippings in there, helping to clean up their poop, feathers, etc, mow and then throw down the clippings again. See the attached photo to make sense of my set up.
I bagged up some grass, spread it on a tarp to dry (kind of like making hay), and stored it in large re-usable leaf bags. I use it regularly in my run with no issues, I use deep litter method and my run is covered and stays mostly dry. Just be sure the grass is completely dry before you store it or it will get moldy and that's bad.

Mine get acres of grass clippings. Their primary job in life is to lay eggs and turn grass clippings into amazing compost/mulch/soil for my garden beds.

If crop issues from grass is an issue it's just my personal opinion that it's indicative of another problem. Lots of grass may well be an issue for birds with underdeveloped crops, or flora imbalance, or for some other reason. But a healthy, well developed crop should never have a problem with grass. Chickens have been eating fibrous material far longer than we have been feeding them.

It's my observation with my hens that they only seek out fresh clippings to eat. Once they age even a little bit they are a substrate to be scratched in for bugs and sprouts, amd It's this scratching and pooping action that accelerates the decomposition process.

I mean it as a way to clean up the old poop and other debris the chickens make. Like the old layer of grass and poop gets rakes back up and disposed of and then new goes down.
Why? More work for you.

Add old bedding & poo from coop to small run.

Add clippings, wood chips, straw, leaves, pinestraw, shredded paper to both runs.

I would raise your metal run up on cinder blocks or bricks like your fire pit. Lessons rusting out, contains what you use for the floor.

DLM

This breaks down & can then be used for compost for your own gardens (1 or2 times a year) or sell it bagged or donate to someone (community garden, 4-Her, neighbors).

Back
Top Bottom