Can I put 2 male Cockatiels with 1 female?

kelseygirl707

Dances with Chickens
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Lakeport, Ca.
I am getting a breeding pair of cockatiels on Saturday, and I was also offered a single male from another friend, I was really only planning on getting the breeding pair, but a free tame cickatiel is very tempting.... I can put it in a different cage, but the thought of it all alone while the other two have eachother for company make me sad. So would putting them all in the same cage be a bad Idea? I know the male from the breeding pair is very attached to his female, he won't let her out of his site, so he may not like having Competition... Any Advice?

Hi. I have 6 cockatiels all together in the cage. There are more boys than girls. I have one bonded breeding pair and they are in the same cage. Also I have 3 parakeets in with them. Its a big cage for a rabbit that i made into a bird cage. If you want to raise babies you can't put them in with others they have to be by themselves. They will still lay eggs but won't take care of them. HTH
Stephanie

If you plan on breeding the pair I would have them in separate cages. They can still see eachother and sing to one another. If the single male is tame he may appreciate a cage by himself that you can open up and let him out and hold him etc anyhow.

Get another female put them in a big cage (big) put the nesting boxes up high 5 or 6 feet minimum and you will have babies. 3 boxes for 2 pair is good it gives them a choice and if you can separate the boxes but put them at the same level. If one is lower they probably won't use it.

No, not if you plan on breeding them. The two males will fight over the female, and as one is already bonded with her, he will definitley resent the intrusion into his space. However if you have a large enough flight type cage, then I suggest you get another female for the spare male, and set them up together with both pairs in the new cage. Make sure to place the breeding boxes at the same level in the cage to alleviate any squabbling over nesting sites. You also might want to put a third box in there just for diversion purposes.

Provide some limbs or other wooden chew type objects in the flight for them, and some sturdy enough perches for them to perch on.

depends on how big the cage is.... but i would say NO!!! during the breeding season the males will fight... and if they both harasse the female they could kill her

No, I would not put them together. I have had 2 pair in a cage, and once they go broody, the fight is on.

Thanks for all the advice everybody! I'll keep them seperate, Maybe I can pick up a girlie for my lone male, so he's not lonely.
hu.gif

Good luck finding your pairs. I started with one male, then set out to find him a mate, now I have 9 adults and 4 hatchlings.

yes its fine i have 2 males and 1 female cocktiels together and there's never been a problem just make sure he doesn't get bored or else he will try and become partners with the female and there will be a big fight

Back
Top Bottom